• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would 3 female bunnies be ok?

Dobbin

Mama Doe
Hi. As you know we lost dobbin earlier this week. But we still have our beloved Isobel. There is a pair of female, bonded rabbits in a local rescue that we adore. Do you think the three ladies would be ok together? Does all female groups work? Unfortunately the rescue do not know if the females have been speyed. Thank you very very much. Sue xx

I have 3 boys Nd they get on fine :D

I first had a single boy then my sister had a litter and I had 2 boys and bonded them just fine:love:

My sister has 4 girls together mom and 3 babies and they get on just great :D

I'd avoid like the plague, sorry! If the rescue doesn't know if they've been spayed, then that means the rescue hasn't spayed them...and the chances of a pair of bunnies coming into rescue already spayed (and the rescue not knowing this) are virtually zero. I'm afraid that combination is a recipe for disaster, and is most likely to end up with injuries and more than likely three single bunnies at the end of the process, as two unspayed females are very likely to turn extremely territorial when there is a newcomer and will probably not just fight with her, but also with each other.

If you've got your heart set on them, then I would suggest the only sensible option would be to get them both spayed (or, being optimistic, getting the vet to confirm for certain whether they are spayed already), wait at least 6 weeks for hormones to die down and then attempt the bond...there is always the risk of course that the bond doesn't work and worst case scenario is that you could end up with 3 single bunnies. In all honesty, I'm not sure it would be in the best interests of the existing pair to try it.

Personally, if you're going to go for a trio then 3 girls would be my least favoured combination. It all depends on the bunnies of course and three girls can work, but in my experience, girls can be the trickiest to bond successfully even if all are neutered. In any case, it is absolutely essential to ensure that all bunnies are definitely neutered before trying. Adding a single bun into a pair is very different to having a trio which comprises siblings/family members together as they will always have been together and will have a familiar smell and look.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thank you very very much for your help. I have a lot to think about, thank you. Sorry to be a pain. Xxx

No I wouldn't try, I have found females the hardest to bond, especially if you don't know if they are speyed, and with the added difficulty of a trio.

I remain certain that the best chance of an easy bond and successful long term happiness is a male/female neutered pair, of course there are no guarantees and always exceptions to every rule, but why make things harder than they have to be if you have other options :)

I wouldnt risk it either. A single male would be the best option for you. Personally I dont feel it would be fair on the already bonded girls to try to add your girl as they are happy as they are.

I agree what others have said girls are much harder to bond in a group than boys and with out knowing if they were neutered I would never attempt it

I hope you find your perfect bunny soon x

I'd avoid like the plague, sorry! If the rescue doesn't know if they've been spayed, then that means the rescue hasn't spayed them...and the chances of a pair of bunnies coming into rescue already spayed (and the rescue not knowing this) are virtually zero. I'm afraid that combination is a recipe for disaster, and is most likely to end up with injuries and more than likely three single bunnies at the end of the process, as two unspayed females are very likely to turn extremely territorial when there is a newcomer and will probably not just fight with her, but also with each other.

If you've got your heart set on them, then I would suggest the only sensible option would be to get them both spayed (or, being optimistic, getting the vet to confirm for certain whether they are spayed already), wait at least 6 weeks for hormones to die down and then attempt the bond...there is always the risk of course that the bond doesn't work and worst case scenario is that you could end up with 3 single bunnies. In all honesty, I'm not sure it would be in the best interests of the existing pair to try it.

Personally, if you're going to go for a trio then 3 girls would be my least favoured combination. It all depends on the bunnies of course and three girls can work, but in my experience, girls can be the trickiest to bond successfully even if all are neutered. In any case, it is absolutely essential to ensure that all bunnies are definitely neutered before trying. Adding a single bun into a pair is very different to having a trio which comprises siblings/family members together as they will always have been together and will have a familiar smell and look.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

This completely. :thumb::thumb: Very good advice.

Thank you all so much. I will find Isobel a single male than! I don't want to stress her out. Best keep looking. Feel guilty bout leaving the pair there though!

Thank you all very very much.

Sue. Xx

Hi
my first two bunnies were girls and they never did really get on even after being spayed. They never had the bond tjay my male/female pairs have had.
Good luck finding Isobel a husbun.

I've had trios of females come into rescue and had to split them. I'd never try and bond three, in fact I'd not even be keen on a pair to be honest.

Also there is a member on here Lucy24 who has very good experience with a trio that broke down in the end after quite a number of squabbles. Sadly she's now rehoming one of the girls.

I prefer mixed sex marriages every time as they do tend to last (not always but more than a same sex pair is likely to).

I hope you find your bunny a new husbun and she falls in love instantly. They are my favourite kind of bonds to do :D

Back