• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch Cleaning help

DomaNikki

Mama Doe
Hi

I might be taken on a hutch that previously housed a rabbit that was put to sleep due to him having myxomatosis, is there anything in particular I need to use to clean out the hutch to help cease the spread or am I being a bit daft?

thank you :wave:

If I were you I'd put bleach and disinfectant in a bucket of hot water and give it a good scrub out.

I'm sure someone will have better cleaning advice, but I don't think you're being daft wanting to make sure it's gone :wave:

I'm not sure I would want to put my rabbits in a hutch that had previously housed a myxi rabbit. But then again that might just be me being overly cautious....I know you definitely shouldn't use a 2nd hand hutch if the previous rabbit had VHD but I'm not sure if myxi is as hard to get rid of.

Thanks both!

I thought about bleach etc but I wasn't sure if that would be enough :lol: I am really cautious about it myself which is why I haven't taken the hutch just yet before asking for help and didn't know anyone had any experience of this.

I didn't know about not using a hutch after VHD either.. :oops:

If it was me I'd bleach it... Then I'd spray it with a Dettol like spray... Then I would scrub it out... Then I would bleach it again... Then I would scrub it out with plain water a couple of times to get rid of the bleach ect. Then a light spray with pet disinfectant.... Then leave it a week and a light spray and wipe out the day before bunny goes in.

And I'm not kidding, I did that years ago after a rabbit died in mysterious circumstances, he wasn't vaccinated so I didn't know if it could have been VHD and I think I went a little over the top :oops: I must have scrubbed that hutch to within an inch of its life over a period of a few weeks! :oops::oops:

You don't need to be that thorough but is would certainly scrub with bleach a couple of times or look into getting a cleaner like virkon which kills more than bleach does!

Back