PDA

View Full Version : Hutch Cleaning help

DomaNikki
02-01-2014, 04:12 PM
Hi

I might be taken on a hutch that previously housed a rabbit that was put to sleep due to him having myxomatosis, is there anything in particular I need to use to clean out the hutch to help cease the spread or am I being a bit daft?

thank you :wave:

chloeturner
02-01-2014, 04:35 PM
If I were you I'd put bleach and disinfectant in a bucket of hot water and give it a good scrub out.

I'm sure someone will have better cleaning advice, but I don't think you're being daft wanting to make sure it's gone :wave:

Ailstar
02-01-2014, 04:42 PM
I'm not sure I would want to put my rabbits in a hutch that had previously housed a myxi rabbit. But then again that might just be me being overly cautious....I know you definitely shouldn't use a 2nd hand hutch if the previous rabbit had VHD but I'm not sure if myxi is as hard to get rid of.

DomaNikki
02-01-2014, 04:53 PM
Thanks both!

I thought about bleach etc but I wasn't sure if that would be enough :lol: I am really cautious about it myself which is why I haven't taken the hutch just yet before asking for help and didn't know anyone had any experience of this.

I didn't know about not using a hutch after VHD either.. :oops:

Hele
02-01-2014, 05:35 PM
If it was me I'd bleach it... Then I'd spray it with a Dettol like spray... Then I would scrub it out... Then I would bleach it again... Then I would scrub it out with plain water a couple of times to get rid of the bleach ect. Then a light spray with pet disinfectant.... Then leave it a week and a light spray and wipe out the day before bunny goes in.

And I'm not kidding, I did that years ago after a rabbit died in mysterious circumstances, he wasn't vaccinated so I didn't know if it could have been VHD and I think I went a little over the top :oops: I must have scrubbed that hutch to within an inch of its life over a period of a few weeks! :oops::oops:

You don't need to be that thorough but is would certainly scrub with bleach a couple of times or look into getting a cleaner like virkon which kills more than bleach does!

DemiS
02-01-2014, 06:05 PM
http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?355637-Is-there-any-disinfectant-(eg-Jeyes)-that-can-kill-myxi-virus

You can buy virkon online :) It's a veterinary disinfectant effective against the myxi virus