• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Any info on large bunnies?

Sarah1989

Warren Veteran
Hi all,

I keep seeing and hearing so many good things about giant bunnies on here, I'm quite tempted to get one myself :lol:

I know nothing about large bunnies, so who better to ask than you guys :wave:

I've heard they can have health issues due to their size and don't live very long, but are also very friendly, great personalities, affectionate etc.

What kind of setup would you recommend? I live in a rented house and my OH would also almost certainly not be up for the idea of a free range bunny (boooo to him! :evil::lol:)

Anything else I've missed? I've had Dutch bunnies before and now my dwarf lop, mini lop and mini lion lops, so a giant bunny would be a big change.

They are awesome - I've had frenchies, conties & an extra large NZ white.

I have a playhouse/aviary set up - they def need a lot of space. When my NZ was inside he had one decent sized room all day & free range on an evening.

Mine had dodgy backgrounds so none lived very old - I think my NZ was 5/6, & the frenchies/contis have all been 2-4. A couple had sore hocks (really bad though) & one had a heart problem. I lost one frenchie a few days after neuter & another a week after neuter - so something underlying there. One of the contis never good neutered - his bloods came back wrong & vet didn't want to risk it.

Hello!

Well it would certainly be a big change....in a good way.

I've had a Frenchie and I have a conti.

They are lovely, friendly, energetic, stubborn and affectionate.

BUT

They need space and loads of it. That means either a big outdoor set up or free-range at home. I would say they can only be confined to one room overnight etc but need more than that regularly.

They are "trainable" of a fashion but, my word, it's hard work! Bear in mine, big teeth equals bigger ability to be destructive. As a baby, Hector was heading towards destructo-bun!! He's very good now though. Basically, they get bored so they need things, lots of things!!

Health wise, so far, I'm quite lucky. He does have a delicate tummy but I've now seemingly got that under control. They are, however, more difficult to look after than little buns.

As to my Frenchie, he was docile and daft as a brush. He was totally gorgeous with it. His health, however, was poor and he struggled to see 2 with sludgy bladder, stones and, ultimately a tumour which spread to his spine. :(

I wouldn't be without Hector but he isn't for the faint-hearted!! I suspect that is why there are quite a few popping up in rescues. :(

:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I love my 2 Contis but I have to say I'm happier with them outside than when they were in the house. It was like living with a whirlwind, with at least one of them always up to mischief. Don't underestimate how strong they are (Willow almost had a large bookcase filled with books over) or how much space they need. For instance, when Willow binkies she can get as high as my boobs! But they are very gentle and quite affectionate, it's just that they rule over all they survey and they know it!

My giant Anipse lives in a summer house. I will say that bigger buns seem to be much more intelligent but she's also a huge sweetie.

Loads of toys and room is defo needed :thumb:

I've had Frenchies and Contis for years and would never go back to the smaller breeds.

I find Frenchies to be the most gentle and affectionate bunnies but they can be quite lazy in their later years. Contis are definitely more energetic and are bounding with character too.

I currently have a fulltime housebun and several living outdoors. I'd have a pair indoors but my boy isn't castrated and, because he doesn't spray, he won't be. He gets up to occasional mischief - a nibbled wire once, a few tufts missing from the chair cushion and he LOVES cardboard boxes.

Giant-breeds need a lot of space, they eat more and they poo more but I'd say the rewards from sharing your life with a biggie are giant-sized too. :love:

I'm still really tempted to get a Conti, I love their humongous ears!! I'd love to get a wifey Conti for Slipper actually then put Blackavar in with Badger & Blueberry instead as they get on so well and Slipper had a big fight with him when I let them out in the living room to play and Blackavar thought it would be a good idea to hop in Slipper's cage :roll: my fault, I wasn't fast enough to stop him :oops: nobody was hurt though, I got them separated quickly.

I have plans to move my buns upstairs into a double bedroom and split it in half so all bunnies get to free range of sorts. OH wouldn't let me have free range bunnies full stop, this is the best I can wrangle out of him :roll:

Thoughts anybody?

The only worry I'd have is whether half a room would be big enough and whether you'd ever be able to have any sort of "fence" high enough to stop your conti jumping over....... :D

Love the idea of a giant bunny next
But OH says we need a one in, one out policy so it's about ten years off...
Loving my little mini rexes in the meantime though :)

Well, shhhh, don't tell OH but as we don't live together, Conti would come out when he wasn't there :lol:

How high can they jump?

Well, shhhh, don't tell OH but as we don't live together, Conti would come out when he wasn't there :lol:

How high can they jump?

Ha ha ha ha!!!

Put it this way, Hector sort of "steps" onto the sofa or the bed without any apparent effort..... :D

I've never seen him hurdle anything because there isn't anything for him to jump. He does three stairs at a time and jumps from the bed to my desk so 3 ft gap with a 1 ft height difference if that helps!

Ha ha ha ha!!!

Put it this way, Hector sort of "steps" onto the sofa or the bed without any apparent effort..... :D

I've never seen him hurdle anything because there isn't anything for him to jump. He does three stairs at a time and jumps from the bed to my desk so 3 ft gap with a 1 ft height difference if that helps!

Oh good grief my OH will have a fit if he knew and ban me :lol: I've had to strike a deal with him already just to get him to consider the idea of another bunny! He thinks 4 is enough and he hates the mess they make in the lounge where they currently are :roll: maybe I should trade him in for a Conti, do you know any rescues who could do with a 35 yr old biker :lol:

(I meanwhile think they are irresistible, I love the idea of sitting reading in bed on an evening & my Conti jumping up for cuddles :love:)

Love the idea of a giant bunny next
But OH says we need a one in, one out policy so it's about ten years off...
Loving my little mini rexes in the meantime though :)

Ugh I know my OH has previously said I'm not allowed any more pets. Ever. :evil::censored:

Sorrell can jump 4ft with a bit of a "run up", and he's a british giant so not as big as a conti

:shock::shock::shock:

I still want one though :love: best not tell OH this though or he'll say not a chance :( it's my house now though.

Giants are amazing, although big teefs which hurt :shock: (Sorrell was grumpy about late brekkie today :lol: )

They are so intelligent, bit like a destructive puppy in that if they are bored they will cause devastation :lol:

Giants are amazing, although big teefs which hurt :shock: (Sorrell was grumpy about late brekkie today :lol: )

They are so intelligent, bit like a destructive puppy in that if they are bored they will cause devastation :lol:

:shock: oh dear :? Worried about my bedroom now it's a rented house. Any suggestions for Conti proofing a house? :lol:

:shock: oh dear :? Worried about my bedroom now it's a rented house. Any suggestions for Conti proofing a house? :lol:

Lots and lots of toys for him/her!

And:

No books; exposed wire; exposed wood; possibly cover skirting boards; no exposed rubber e.g. The sky remote or "feet" off furniture; ensure no elastic bands within reach......

And be firm! They do learn of a fashion! :)

I'm hoping to get a girl to keep Slipper in line :lol: the bedroom will be emptied, a suitable floor covering and then divided in half so she can't get in with the others. I'll just have the wooden skirting board to protect then and obviously wooden doors for when she gets to come out & play behind OH's back :lol: what do you suggest for preventing her chewing the wood?

Back