• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Excitable snuffly noise whilst eating

Azucena

Alpha Buck
Humphrey has started making an excitable snuffly noise when food comes out and he's searching for pellets etc.

Just wondering whether any other rabbits do this? :wave:

My bun has never done this. I've known a rabbit who went through a phase of this - in his case it eventually stopped but I would be a bit concerned.

Is Humphrey eating well and otherwise seeming well?

Not sure if this is the same as what you are talking about but I used to scatter feed my bunnies and one of them would get so excited he used to make loud sniffing/gulping noises. I was worried he was swallowing too much air/would choke as he got so over the top about it, so I changed to feeding them in a bowl and he doesn't do it as much now. He still does it sometimes when he is especially excited though - he is very enthusiastic about food! I feed two tiny meals a day and just watch him while he eats - partly to check he is ok, but mostly because it's cute to see him so excited... :)

Not sure if this is the same as what you are talking about but I used to scatter feed my bunnies and one of them would get so excited he used to make loud sniffing/gulping noises. I was worried he was swallowing too much air/would choke as he got so over the top about it, so I changed to feeding them in a bowl and he doesn't do it as much now. He still does it sometimes when he is especially excited though - he is very enthusiastic about food! I feed two tiny meals a day and just watch him while he eats - partly to check he is ok, but mostly because it's cute to see him so excited... :)

I do scatter feed so I'll try that, thanks! :)

He stopped after a couple of days.

He is now making very faint squeaking noises when eating. Can't remember if they're the same as the noise described here, although I don't think so. Any ideas of the cause? He's otherwise ok (eating/pooing).

Rosie makes snuffley noises when she eats her pellets. She always has. ..I got her checked out when I first got her and she was fine. She is very vocal in general though. She snorts,grunts, honks and growls and it's all food related. Some lady eh! Lol :)

Glad your bun is ok now :) not sure about the new noises. Has your rabbit been vet checked recently?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

My rabbit Barney makes snuffly, squeaky or grunty/snorty noises whilst eating, excited or stressed. In his case it is because he has a chronic URT infection and possible scarring of the airways from where it wasn't treated properly before, and the noises change according to how he is. Barney's illness is caused by a bacteria that most rabbits carry but their immune systems keep in check until it is triggered by a weakening of the immune system, often by illness, stress or dramatic temperature changes, which allows the bacteria to multiply and get out of control. It is commonly referred to as snuffles or pasturella. So it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it and make sure you consult a vet if you are concerned, just in case this is an early sign.

Rosie makes snuffley noises when she eats her pellets. She always has. ..I got her checked out when I first got her and she was fine. She is very vocal in general though. She snorts,grunts, honks and growls and it's all food related. Some lady eh! Lol :)

Glad your bun is ok now :) not sure about the new noises. Has your rabbit been vet checked recently?

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk 2

Thanks. :) He had a good health check when he went for his vaccinations a couple of weeks ago and all was ok.

My rabbit Barney makes snuffly, squeaky or grunty/snorty noises whilst eating, excited or stressed. In his case it is because he has a chronic URT infection and possible scarring of the airways from where it wasn't treated properly before, and the noises change according to how he is. Barney's illness is caused by a bacteria that most rabbits carry but their immune systems keep in check until it is triggered by a weakening of the immune system, often by illness, stress or dramatic temperature changes, which allows the bacteria to multiply and get out of control. It is commonly referred to as snuffles or pasturella. So it would be a good idea to keep an eye on it and make sure you consult a vet if you are concerned, just in case this is an early sign.

Thanks. Yeah, I looked into pasturella a few months ago.. I like my research! :lol:
I will definitely keep an eye on it. :)

Back