• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny owners who have wild bunnies in their gardens

Santa

Wise Old Thumper
:wave: gloriously, our new house has wild bunnies in the garden, and I'm just loving seeing them around and about. At the moment, my bunnies are in an enclosed patio area, but in the spring I plan to move them into an aviary which is further down the garden - where they will have more space and where I can attach a further run so they can spend time on the grass.

But I'm curious to know from others who have wildies - do they show any interest in your buns and vice-versa, or do they keep away? Has it ever caused a problem of referred aggression in your own buns, especially given that wildies will be unneutered? Do you take any particular precautions to keep them away from each other? Obviously keeping vaccinations up to date is a must (which I do anyway) but what about grazing areas where there could be things like cocci or ec? Do you have an entirely separate grazing area which is penned off so that wildies can't get anywhere near? I'm thinking of attaching another aviary to the front of the fixed one, so that they can have safe supervised time on grass, but that also keeps the grazing area separate from any wildies.

I'd be grateful for any thoughts or experiences of domestic and wild bunnies cohabiting in close proximity!

Annoyingly, I was most looking forward to being able to forage on my own plot, but because of the wildies, there's not a scrap of ground-growing forage anywhere to be seen :lol:

We have wildies that visit our rabbits in their runs.
We have no problems so far with referred aggression, but never have had issues in this way so far.
Our rabbits are mainly on concrete runs, so no worries about contamination.
The wildies are often sitting by our rabbits, and run off when we go out. As you say the main thing is to keep up vaccinations and I avoid putting un- neutered females out, just in case a wildie gets to her, until she is neutered.

Thanks Halfpenny. The aviary is on concrete so it's just an additional grass run. At our previous pad I used a runaround, but I'm wondering whether a fixed aviary on the front might be better so it keeps the patch of grass clear of wildies all the time. I am trying to plan now to move the bunnies into it in spring, so that should give a while for the grass to have had a 'rest'.

Anyone else??

The house I lived in with my ex had a warren at the end of the garden :love: I loved watching the wildies run around and we had baby bunnies too :love: we used to leave carrots out for them :love:

It's amazing isn't it, I love watching them just mooch around and graze, behaving just like bunnies should :love: I can't wait for the warmer weather so I can sit out and watch them. I just hope they don't cause any problems with mine!

Back