• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Baldness? UPDATED Post #12 further advice required please!

xlaurax

Mama Doe
Hi all :wave:

I know I've been absent for some time but I hope someone can help me with this.

Bluebell has got some bald patches. I first noticed her scruff was bald in patches but I put that down to Bramble mounting her (she pulls fur when she does it sometimes).

However I have now noticed a huge patch on her tummy. Bramble has no baldness. I'm going to upload a photo when image shack lets me.

She never scratches herself and we don't have any cats or dogs so I've ruled out fleas.

Does anyone know what this could be?

Thanks in anticipation.

Ps I don't know if this is relevant but Bluebell always grinds her teeth quietly when being stroked or held. Her diet hasn't changed.

Last edited:
qpew.jpg

What about mites or 'walking dandruff'?

We found this in one of our buns Squirrel three weeks ago, don't know where it came from and he seems to be the only one with it. However because it is contagious all 22 need treatment - so 22 lots of 4 individual doses given a week apart. :shock:

What about mites or 'walking dandruff'?

We found this in one of our buns Squirrel three weeks ago, don't know where it came from and he seems to be the only one with it. However because it is contagious all 22 need treatment - so 22 lots of 4 individual doses given a week apart. :shock:

Were you given Ivermectin?

Yes they are neutered.

I don't know about mites as they don't go on the grass in winter and they don't have contact with other pets

Pop them both to the vets tomorrow. The vet will be able to tell you if it's mites or something else. x

hope its nothing to bad, could simply be a heavy moult, but best to get it checked if your concerned, is she itching at it or is it red?

Thanks all.

No it's not red or itchy.

I'll get her booked in with the vets asap.

Thanks again guys :)

The vet has provided treatment for mites. He said it's a first step.

I just don't know where they could have come from. They've not been on the grass in ages due to the weather.

Do you think they could be in the straw? I recently started packing the hutch with it for warmth. It came from hay for pets. As does their hay.

Any advice guys? I'm hoping their whole batch of hay and straw isn't compromised :(

In the hay;) or the straw, yeah.

My pair had mites the other month and they only had hay for pets hay. I carried on using the hay by accident after their mites cleared up and had no problems. I only realised when I finished the bag. I don't think I would have used it though.

Thanks Aly

I don't know what to do :(

They won't eat supermarket hay which is all I can get my hands on today. I'm not even convinced it is mites. The vet took all of 1 minute deliberating then gave me £70 of treatment and sent me home. I even found out it was his last day at that job!

I want a second opinion but the surgery is closed til Monday now :(

Yikes! Better to be safe than sorry I guess. When Kerbie and Leo had mites it was Leo that had the walking dandruff all down his back nearly but Kerbie was just losing fur in between his shoulder blades.

My lot are the same, have you tried timothyhay.co.uk? It's really compact, but loose too if that makes sense, it's not like h4p hay that's tight in the plastic bag. The timothy hay is in a breathable bag. I don't know if that makes a difference though.

I'll try that thanks Aly

I just spoke to a different vet who said that the treatment will protect them from mites so I can continue to use the same straw and hay. She also isn't convinced it it's mites.

I might end up with another visit to the vets next week if there's no improvement!

Hiya, that picture looks very much like how my Honey looked when she used to pull her own fur out. It was when she was separated from Olly before they were neutered, she got very stressed by herself and that was how she reacted. She didn't have mites. Your bunny probably doesn't do this but I just thought I'd mention it x

Hiya, that picture looks very much like how my Honey looked when she used to pull her own fur out. It was when she was separated from Olly before they were neutered, she got very stressed by herself and that was how she reacted. She didn't have mites. Your bunny probably doesn't do this but I just thought I'd mention it x

Thank you. Yes I wondered about fur pulling but she's never shown signs of being stressed or upset. I'll see how she goes with the treatment. If there's no improvement I'm going straight to the vets!

If it is mites, there's no need to panic. Mites live EVERYWHERE, and they also live on your rabbit's skin. When they are feeling a little under the weather/stressed or anything less than 100% then they can multiply and therefore cause a problem. Some rabbits are just more prone to them. Tbh, I would be surprised to see mites affecting only the BELLY of a rabbit. If she is pulling her own fur out, perhaps she has something going on, or has localised pain in that area. Perhaps you will never find out why!

http://www.rabbit.org/journal/4-9/skin.html

Back