PDA

View Full Version : Carpet or rug for shed?

foxy2279
01-01-2014, 10:19 AM
My rabbits are all outdoor. But due to Belle having a ga recently i had her and Bramble indoors in a run for a night while it wore off and to make sure Belle was eating. We turned the heating right down so it was slightly warmer than outside but not overly hot. They were both totally loved my carpet. They were in full on flop mode. I have never seen them completely stretched out like that before.

I was wondering if there was any carpet type flooring i could use in my shed for them? I use lino as flooring at the moment. They have a house type bed but would love for them to have a nice snuggly carpet area.

I can't bring them indoors full time as my landlord won't allow it. The agreement is they are only allowed in for medical reasons and have to be confined to a small area.

BattleKat
01-01-2014, 11:00 AM
I'd just put a rug down, that way if they start eating it or peeing on it you can just take it out.:thumb:

ETA: I have a pet republic boot rug in my shed which is a lovely deep pile snuggly rug that can go in the washing machine, very handy!

elmoandfern
01-01-2014, 11:44 AM
Mumu was an indoor bunny and he lived in a carpeted room - he ended up getting sore hocks as a result of the carpet so we had to lay fleece down everywhere. Just a warning! I suppose it depends on the type of carpet/rug and how much time they spend in it but it caused huge problems for him :(

Tracy
01-01-2014, 11:55 AM
I use rugs in all my sheds. I use the Alphabet Playmats from B&Q. They sweep easily with a stiff brush and wash well too. Plus they are bright and cheerful. :thumb:

foxy2279
02-01-2014, 09:21 AM
Thank you all.

Mumu was an indoor bunny and he lived in a carpeted room - he ended up getting sore hocks as a result of the carpet so we had to lay fleece down everywhere. Just a warning! I suppose it depends on the type of carpet/rug and how much time they spend in it but it caused huge problems for him :(

Thank you. Will keep a eye out for sore hocks. Hopefully as they have 24hr run access they have a area away from the carpet so should be ok.

elmoandfern
02-01-2014, 10:33 AM
Thank you all.

Thank you. Will keep a eye out for sore hocks. Hopefully as they have 24hr run access they have a area away from the carpet so should be ok.

Yes I'm sure they'll be fine! I was just a bad bunny mummy and had him on carpet 24/7 :oops:

foxy2279
02-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Yes I'm sure they'll be fine! I was just a bad bunny mummy and had him on carpet 24/7 :oops:

Aww hun. Your not a bad bunny mummy :love:. I had no clue that carpet could cause sore hocks so you have taught me something. Rabbits are a learning curve for everyone.

elainema
02-01-2014, 05:27 PM
I have a rubber backed doormat in mine and the buns love it. I found they were slipping about too much on the lino so I added a "safe area" which seems to have made it a lot better x.

Rhian33
02-01-2014, 06:33 PM
I also use rugs. We buy cheap ikea ones which will go in he washing machine. The last ones we got were these http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/90267066/ . A little on the small side but cheap enough that you can buy loads without breaking the bank.

Tilia
06-01-2014, 08:21 PM
If you have any issues with your bunnies eating fleece/rugs, you could try carpet tiles - I use several carpet tiles in the shed and run, the bunnies spend 90% of their lying/sleeping time on them! Because the tiles are stiff (and it's the office floor stuff, not fluffy carpet), the bunnies can't eat them, and they're really easy to take out and clean :)