• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

second bunny

Sage85

New Kit
Hi there,
so I got my second bunny yesterday, she is really lovely and was described by the lady at the rescue as 'bomb proof' very laid back etc.
my rabbit is actually beside himself with trying to get into her cage, he's biting on his wires amd staring into her cage.
I just wanted some tips really. I know it really important that the new rabbit feels safe and comfortable. Whilst the other not to get jealous- is it ok to let my boy rabbit out to free range? He's running up . to her cage to sniff and everything but has tried to nip her a few times and I don't want her to be scared of him. I know its too early to try and bond them properly but im also worried that he will get very frustrated if he isn't allowed out of his hutch to roam around.

If your new bunny is spayed, can you not just put them together, maybe in a pen etc. By letting your boy bunny go up to her cage you will possibly encourage aggressive behaviour. Always put your male in first. Good luck.

I would personally not let them see each other until you are bonding. This needs to be done on completely neutral territory. Be wary, your boy's behaviour could be aggressive, because another bun is in his territory. Read through some of the bonding threads, they are always very useful.

I would personally not let them see each other until you are bonding. This needs to be done on completely neutral territory. Be wary, your boy's behaviour could be aggressive, because another bun is in his territory. Read through some of the bonding threads, they are always very useful.

This, I don't like to let buns see each other much before bonding, especially not if the newbie is in the original buns territory as this can lead to defensive behaviour leading to aggression. If both are spayed I would take them both out of their territories and start bonding :p

Did the rescue not give you any advice?

Best of luck, bonding can be a joy or a bit of a pain :shock: but the forum is always here to help so don't be afraid to ask! :wave:

Well I put them in the bath because he looked like he was going to explode :-D they were grooming each other within about five mins. I got some material on bonding from the lady I adopted her off and spoke to her about this afternpons events and she thinks its a very good sign.boy is not aggressive at all- been trying some humping but mostly grooming her as well. Going to carry on the way we are for the time being- he seems to have calmed down a lot since meeting her. They are now sat side by side in separate cages grooming themselves. Yay!

Back