• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Advice: off to vets

KatP

Alpha Buck
Nothing wrong just getting their claws clipped and have asked to have their teeth checked. This is the first time I have taken them to the vets so I am planning on taking them in the same travel carrier with one of their blankets and hay. Will also ask about getting them spayed as one of the buns has been humping the other quite a lot when they come in! What should I be asking about them being spayed as they are a really well bonded pair of sisters? They live outside so I have been putting it off due to chance of cold weather as vet said he wouldn't do it till they were 6 months old as mini lops and they have just turned 8 months old but I am worried about the cold weather we could still have as I have nowhere to bring them into? Is the humping a prob? Should I just get them booked in sooner rather than later? Not sure how bunny savvy the vet is that I will see tomorrow as it's our first time at this vets and haven't found any recommendations for my area on here!

Sorry to ask so many questions but I am sat here worrying now after a lovely evening spent being climbed over by my buns and being given so many kisses and licks!

I don't have experience of girl buns, but I would put off spaying until the weather is warmer. Spenser's vet wouldn't neuter him in the winter, and it is a much less invasive op for boy buns. You might get more experienced replies if you start a thread in the 'behaviour and bonding' section. :wave:

I don't have experience of girl buns, but I would put off spaying until the weather is warmer. Spenser's vet wouldn't neuter him in the winter, and it is a much less invasive op for boy buns. You might get more experienced replies if you start a thread in the 'behaviour and bonding' section. :wave:

Thank you so much this is pretty much what my vet has said that he would rather wait till about Easter time but I am worried the humping may cause physical problems or cause a breakdown of the bond!

Tbh, the humping could start causing problems with their bond. The humping is one bun dominating over the other one..when a bun isn't neutered, hormones start kicking in and they start doing it a bit obsessively. They have the drive to mate and domineer much stronger at this age too, since they are equivalent to a teenage human!

Keep a close eye on them because, at this age, the humping can easily escalate into fighting. When you say "when they come in", where are you bringing them? Do you mean back into their hutch? It could be that one of the sister is making sure that the other knows that they are dominant in this territory too. Moving them about less can help, my three will always hump each other and chase for a bit when they enter a "new" territory. They are just reasserting their bonds and hierarchy.

I don't have much experience with two unspeyed does, but from what I have read, it is very likely that they will end up fighting unless they are speyed soon. If they were to be speyed, even in Summer, they really would need to be brought inside for at least 24 hours. When I got my Shadowfax speyed, she was really out of sorts for a couple of days. I kept her indoors in a small pen for a weak to make sure she didn't tear her wound (she had a shelf in her wendy house which I couldn't remove). The first night after her spey, she needed a hot water bottle and lots of encouragement to eat. For the first 3/4 days, she didn't really move about much and looked pretty miserable. I got her done at the end of August, so it wasn't exactly cold. I know people have different ways of looking after bunnies after ops, but it really depends on the individual bun. My Fiver was bouncing about like a lunatic an hour after I got him home from his neuter :roll:, although it's not as big an op, it's still pretty traumatic and he wasn't bothered at all.

Successful trip to vet both were really good having their nails clipped and vet showed me how to do it myself as they were both so calm. She also checked their teeth and said they are fine. Asked again about spaying but she isn't happy to do it until the weather warms up a bit as they are outdoor buns. Also asked about one of the buns humping the other and she suggested leaving it a couple of weeks to see if the hormones settle as they are sisters and it was the other way around two weeks ago for about three days and then nothing. Have booked them in for their vaccinations in 6 weeks time, as I didn't want their first trip to the vet to include everything. Best bit was being told how beautiful and healthy they are :love:

Glad the vet trip went well. It is always nice to have our precious bunnies admired. As Vegan_Bunny says you should keep an eye on the humping situation, but let's hope it remains manageable until the girls can be spayed when the weather is warmer.

I may have asked this before, but how do you tell them apart?

Glad the vet trip went well. It is always nice to have our precious bunnies admired. As Vegan_Bunny says you should keep an eye on the humping situation, but let's hope it remains manageable until the girls can be spayed when the weather is warmer.

I may have asked this before, but how do you tell them apart?

Will defiantly keep an eye on behaviour.

They are easy to tell apart as Fidget is much bigger than Fudge, Fidget has more ginger around her eyes as well. But the easiest way is by their personalities, Fidget will be constantly nudging me for cuddles, will climb up me for kisses, and to lick my cheek and cuddle on my lap through her choice :love: Fudge will nudge me to make sure she gets some attention, let's me stroke her then hops off to find what trouble she can get into next before coming back to remind me she is there by grooming my arm :love:

Back