• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grooming bunnies

Ellasyn

Mama Doe
Most of my bunnies only need a rub over with a mitt to clear dead fluff when moulting and occasional tidy ups, but Ava is a fluffly lionhead. I keep her on fleece and hay (layer of hay, fleece, then eating hay) as she is an outdoors bunny and I worry about the cold. The thing is, despite not actually getting much hay knotted in her fluff, she obviously still needs regular grooming to prevent matting (I had to cut loads out when I got her, she had been kept on shavings, some matted to her skin). I use a combination of a brush with lots of little prongs with rubbery ball bits on the end (not sure what its called!) and a small comb to tease out any tangles.

She hates grooming though, I have to really wrap her in a blanket to keep her calm and safe. I have tried bribing her with food (she always gets a fenugreek crunchie when its done anyway) and I am really gentle with her. Am I doing it wrong or using the wrong equipment? I usually check her daily, brush her fully twice a week and tbh theres not usually any knots, its just keeping any dead fluff out so it doesnt mat up. Is that too much or not enough?

Im getting really disheartened by how much she hates me afterwards and I dont want to be doing it wrong for her.

Any advice/comments appreciated.

Could you give her a short back and sides on a regular basis, but less often than she would need to be groomed?

All mine loathe human contact but I have to grap and snip every now and again ...

I suppose so, although I am terrified of cutting her skin. ITs her bum/underneath fluff that is the worst, and her underchin fluff (that should really be the technical term :lol: ) and with her wriggling Im not sure the safest way to do it.

Back