• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Missing a kit

ClaireBoo

Young Bun
Hi all my doe had 6 kits 20/12 and all were doing great last night before I went up to bed I checked in on my male (cookie) my doe (honey) and her 6 kits all were fine so I went to bed, this morning I got up and one of the kits had escaped and was next to honeys food bowl so I put it back in the nest and could only find 4 others. The hutch needed cleaning so checked the nest and nothing I cleaned that out, removing the dry straw and fur first, I put the nest and kits back and started checking the rest of the hutch and nothing. So now I'm stumped as to where it has gone. My first thought was honey may have eaten it but they are 10 days old and quite big also there would have been some evidence wouldn't there?
I'm so confused, has anyone got any ideas??
TIA
Claire Xx

They often get dragged out of the nest as they latch on to a nipple and don't let go as mum hops out. That's why nest boxes have a lip so the kits are knocked off. If the gap from the bed to the rest of the hutch is big enough adding a 3" high piece of wood across the doorway will have the same effect.

I would check around the hutch, is it possible one was knocked out the nest and squeezed through the mesh?

I've checked the whole hutch and nothing, I thought I could of got through the wires but hubby doesn't think so and our dogs would of let us know as they have in the past when the hamster has escaped lol we've checked round the hutch etc and nothing so not got a clue.

*need to add the hutches are inside at the min as we didn't want them getting cold over winter when it warms up they will be moved back outside and hopefully they will have a nice new big shed to move into, after they have both been for a visit to the vets ;)

Sorry yes we did, even though we were told that they were both girlies! As soon as we realized she was pregnant and nest building we got another hutch and removed him.

Yes I have took forever and no sign of it, it can't just have disappeared can it??

No. And I wouldn't have expected mum to eat it, and, as you say, there would be evidence.

We lost a kit once but it had buried down as far as it could go into the hay and when the contents started being removed we foumd him.

I don't know what kind of cage you have but is it possible one has wriggled through the mesh and be around the cage on the floor somewhere? Do you have any other predator animals around and able to access the area?

Equally kind of stupid question... but did you definitely have 6 initially? I'm sure you did but I just wanted to check.

Yes definitely 6 lol we have 2 dogs but to be honest they wouldn't of harmed it if anything the male would of cuddled it as he has with the hamster before, the rabbits and dogs live side by side in a way. I've got a 2tier for the doe the kits are in the upstairs bedroom bit, that's why I went through the whole hutch with a fine tooth comb and honestly found no sign of it :(

I don't want to worry you, but any dog can get a predatory urge, no matter how good natured it is normally. For example, we used to have two Tibetan terriers who were generally very good with our small furries. But one day a sparrow got into our dining room and we didn't realise and when we opened the door, Frankie rushed in and grabbed it before we could do anything.

I would double check all the contents of the hutch you have cleared out if you havent already, and also check the entire room thoroughly, in case the kit has got out and found somewhere to hide. I hope you manage to find the baby soon!

No, no luck at all. The dogs must of done it :( I've weaved some card through the bottom of the hutch so if they do make it down the stairs again they won't be able to get through the wires

We lost a baby once and found it again undercsome hay. At a week old they do start getting around by wriggling and as others have said they can latch on to mum and get accidentally moved

No they are inside and we don't have rats lol
Went though the hutch again last night and it's definitely not there so the dogs must of had it :cry: but I've put things in place so if they do get out the nest they can't get out the hutch

Back