• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

How long after dental treatment should a rabbit be eating normal?

lisaam

Young Bun
Hi

I had a previous post recently about my rabbit being ill which resulted in dental treatment and whilst doing that they found ulcers.

I'm just wondering how many days does it take for a rabbits eating habbits to return to normal?

It's been a few days now and he still isn't interested in any hay. When i offer it to him by hand to encourage him to eat he just takes a bit snaps it in half and drops it. He isn't the slightest bit interested in his pellets or any treats (just to try).

I have tried grape, apple and tomato which he had a little nibble but wasn't keen. He is keen to eat carrots but i don't want to give him too much of that as it may upset his stomach and we have already had issues with that. Also has ate a little brocoli. I tried grass from the garden he ate some but not alot. I'm worried as he isn't drinking anywhere near enough water, I have provided a bottle as well as his usual bowl to see if that would make a difference but it hasn't.

He is very alert and keen to see what i have for eating but when i offer it he's just not interested.

I noticed when he was out in the garden he was biting the stone work almost like he was filing his teeth down?

I would suggest going back to the vets today and getting some pain relief and seeing if that helps. It's also likely you may need to start supplmenting his food as well by syringing it into him if he won't eat himself. You can also ask the vets about giving subcutaneous fluids so you don't have to worry about being dehydrated as well.

But yes, definitely some pain relief- if he has ulcers and his teeth have damaged his mouth, it's not a surprise he doesn't want to eat.

Rolo was quite slow to eat after his dental, he had the procedure on the Monday, he ate nothing that day and very little on his own the next day, I really had to sit and encourage him all day but by the Wednesday he was eating on his own albeit not as much as usual.

Sending lots of nomming vibes but I really would suggest a call to the vet if he's still not eating xx

Thanks.

I was thinking the same that he needs pain relief but just wondered if anyone had any other thoughts. I will call the vet surgery this afternoon.

Blossom has regular - very regular dentals and each one affects him differently. Sometimes he comes back and is perfectly normal, once he was ill for a few days afterwards and others somewhere inbetween.

It is learning their looks and body language as well as their eating and pooping! Luckily as he is free ranging house bun its easy for me to spot changes. I always give him metacam for a few days though and hopefully if your vet does the same you should notice a difference.

Be wary though and I dont want to say this to worry you but Bramble had a routine dental, came back okish but died 48 hours later. I am sure this wont be the same for you, but do keep a close eye on him as i am sure you are doing! Hope he picks up soon.

I would suggest going back to the vets today and getting some pain relief and seeing if that helps. It's also likely you may need to start supplmenting his food as well by syringing it into him if he won't eat himself. You can also ask the vets about giving subcutaneous fluids so you don't have to worry about being dehydrated as well.

But yes, definitely some pain relief- if he has ulcers and his teeth have damaged his mouth, it's not a surprise he doesn't want to eat.

I agree with this advice. Normally it could take 1-2 days after any GA but anymore then I would be concerned and ask for them to be checked over and more meds given. Defnitely try to supplement with some critical care (or similar)

Very frustrating :cry:

I took him back to the vet the day i started this post and they gave me some metacam and stuff to get his stomach moving what with him not really eating. Also still to carry on with his antibiotics.

What i hadn't noticed was he had been eating his blanket, and continued to do this so I had to remove that.

Days have passed and i have tried soaking his pellets so they go soft and he ate a bowl of them. Since then he refuses to touch any pellets even if i leave them as normal. Still isn't drinking all that much considering he used to drink a bowl of water a day. When i let him out he wants to chew everything and eat everything thats not meant for eating..walls, wallpaper, wellies, cardboard, blankets etc. He was eating dandelion leaves but they are giving him an upset stomach as i expected and he isn't all that keen now.

I've been and bought loads of different things, treats he used to like, burgess excel complete food cubes, different kinds of hay, i have tried grass from the garden but all he has eaten is some dry forage stuff i got from pets at home and even then very little. Seems very keen on carrots but again giving him an upset stomach. I don't know what else to do, i don't understand why his eating habits haven't returned to normal..

My bunny usually recovers pretty quickly.
Within a few hours she's her normal self pretty much, tempting her with some fresh greens helps.
Even though usually after she has had surgery and has ulcers she picks up. Maybe I'm lucky - but not so lucky as her teeth are bad! But she almost knows she has to eat and helps her self.
You know your bunny but if still not right take to vets no longer then 24 hours should be left. I swear by emperid it is a life saver for my bunny. Keeps her gut moving and I always administer for a couple of days after xx

Back