• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

House bunny

Kirotea

Mama Doe
I just wondered do people think one sex makes a better house bunny than the other? As in maybe is one easier to litter train, tidier, less destructive or does it entirely depend on the individual rabbit? I'm going to be getting a mini lop in a few weeks. Thanks :)

Depends on the individual in my experience.

Unneutered, males are harder to litter train and more likely to spray, and you hear more stories about destructive behaviour due to frustration (hormones + not enough space or things to do). You can neuter them early though, at 12 weeks. Unneutered females are more likely to dig which is very destructive, and often get territorial and can have phantom pregnancies which makes them super territorial and grumpy. Some vets will neuter them from 15 weeks, most like to wait till 6 months old. These are just generalisations though, each bun is different.

Neutered, it more depends on the individual bunny. Neutering is essential.

I would recommend that you get an adult bun if you are worried about destruction etc as with baby buns there is no guarantee how they will turn out and some buns are just horrendous indoors.

I would also recommend an adult bun, there are so many rabbits in rescues waiting for a good home, of all ages sexes and sizes, so I would recommend adopting 1 or even better a pair from a rescue, then they can tell you what the rabbits personality is like and wether they would be suitable for you. They've usually been neutered and vaccinated too, it works out much cheaper that way than buying a baby and getting them done yourself. If you take a look on rabbit rehome http://www.rabbitrehome.org.uk you can search for your nearest available rabbits

I agree with what the others posted, but I just want to add that the chances are you will end up with some damage no matter how good the rabbit is. Even my well behaved rabbit has caused a bit of damage.

I have to say though, two buns are better than one! One of each sex.

Rescues have them ready paired up for you, all neutered and vaccinated.
I wouldn't want to go through all that with a younger bun myself ..

Good luck whatever you decide :)

Back