• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

best rabbit insurance?

Dawson

Warren Scout
Hello,

What is in your opinion the best rabbit insurance out there and why?

I have a quote from helpucover for 7.81 a month and its a lifetime cover.
The excess is 50 per condition per policy year.

It is with these kind of things that I notice how bad my English is T_T
Cause I have no idea what "per condition, per policy year" means...

Anyway I can't get a quote from other places cause they don't accept my future rabbits birthday yet.
When I thought I was getting another rabbit earlier I had read through pages and pages of a pdf from both helpucover as another insurer (can't remember the name) one did accept dental problems the other didn't but had other advantages etc.

I know helpucover does rabbit insurance and I think pets at home and petplan?

Of course I'm still gonna do a quote of all of them, but I would like to know why you chose the one you're with :)
Oh and does it matter whether rabbit is spayed or neutered or vaccinated for the quote they give you?

(Ps: I know how some people think that its a waste of money, but in a way, ALL insurances are, and I rather pay roughly 120 a year on nothing then suddenly have a huge bill I can't pay and then have to take a loan or something out to pay it off...)

Hi, well the price seems quite reasonable. I have just taken out pet insurance for my rabbit Rufus, which is £11.17 pcm. This is with Pet Plan. I went with them as the excess was lower, and some of the quotes I got (Pets at home in particular) you had to pay 10% of the bill, in addition to the excess. I also know they have a good name, although perhaps not the cheapest. They did ask if Rufus was neutered, which he is not (yet) so maybe the price will drop when he has had his op.

I have never insured a rabbit before, but as Rufus is an English Lop, prone to ear issues, I thought it was probably a wise move.

Hi, well the price seems quite reasonable. I have just taken out pet insurance for my rabbit Rufus, which is £11.17 pcm. This is with Pet Plan. I went with them as the excess was lower, and some of the quotes I got (Pets at home in particular) you had to pay 10% of the bill, in addition to the excess. I also know they have a good name, although perhaps not the cheapest. They did ask if Rufus was neutered, which he is not (yet) so maybe the price will drop when he has had his op.

I have never insured a rabbit before, but as Rufus is an English Lop, prone to ear issues, I thought it was probably a wise move.

I just made a quote through Pet Plan and they charge 11.27 pcm. Haha that is 10 pence more than yours.
However I don't understand why there's a "big" difference between Pet Plan and Helpucover.
If the one from Pet Plan is like way better than I don't mind paying slightly over 10 a month. However their excess is 55 instead of 50 as well.

Wow.

Pets at home.
7.46 per month (you had the option to pay for the whole year as well)
Only up to 1500 a year (where others all have 2000)
The excess: £75.00
+ 10% co-insurance..

Is there ANY good reason to go with Pets at home :shock:?
They do include holiday cancellation and up to 350 for dental treatment. But still that excess is insane o_O

-----------

My computer at work doesn't like these pet insurance websites :lol:
My boyfriend had to make a quote for me from Exotic direct because I can't access the website -.-
12.99 a month, most expensive one so far.
£2,000 Veterinary fees, per policy period
Same as helpucover and petplan
However I can't see any other details -.- Like excess and stuff

I am with helpucover for two rabbits and pets at home for the other one as when we insured her she was over 5yrs, and pets at home are the only ones who will take on an over 5 rabbit.

My male bunny has had a rough year as we found out his tooth roots were growing up into his tearduct. He went through lots of tests, procedures and medication trials which has cost us about £1000 now, probably more. Helpucover accepted the claim almost instantly and have continued to accept every claim we make now with no problems and it tends to be one claim every six weeks now! Without them Alf would not be here as we couldn't have afforded his treatment.

I am currently waiting to hear back from PAH about a claim I submitted for my bunny with pneumonia a few days ago. They will let us know in up to five days about whether they are accepting the claim or not but from what they've said when we've spoken to them on the phone, as long as the vet deems it necessary then there is generally no problem.

I would recommend helpucover based on my experiences :)

Wow.

Pets at home.
7.46 per month (you had the option to pay for the whole year as well)
Only up to 1500 a year (where others all have 2000)
The excess: £75.00
+ 10% co-insurance..

Is there ANY good reason to go with Pets at home :shock:?
They do include holiday cancellation and up to 350 for dental treatment. But still that excess is insane o_O-----------

My computer at work doesn't like these pet insurance websites :lol:
My boyfriend had to make a quote for me from Exotic direct because I can't access the website -.-
12.99 a month, most expensive one so far.
£2,000 Veterinary fees, per policy period
Same as helpucover and petplan
However I can't see any other details -.- Like excess and stuff

The excess is higher at £75 + 10% but if you make one claim in the year and spend £80 on the insurance for the year and pay £75 excess, do the maths at different claim levels eg £500 - it's likely still cheaper than some of the other insurers. It's whether you do multiple claims or need to claim over £1500 that becomes the issue.

It's a gamble, but some figures for you:

Erin (6 years old) is insured with Pet Plan. Premium is now £157 per year. The excess has gone up each year from £55 to now £100 :shock: *gulp*.

Dinky (6 years old) is insured with Pets at Home. Premium £81 per year. The excess is £75 + 10% co-insurance.

What exactly do you mean with one claim or multiple claims :?

I feel that I'm lacking in English :/

Is it possible for example to go to a vet for 5 problems in 1 year and then around the end of the year to contact the insurance. So that you would only pay the excess once? (whether that is 75, 55, 50 etc)
You can do this with dutch insurances :p
But then, for example helpucover states: For Lifetime policies the excess will be £50 per condition per policy year.
So that sounds as if you have 5 different conditions you pay 5 times, the excess? but if you go to a vet 5 times for the same that you only pay 50?

Its a bit confusing.

Worst thing, my British boyfriend does not seem to understand these things either :lol:

In my case I want to insure her next week and she would be around 9 weeks and I would want to insure her for lifetime, and preferably I want to stick to one insurer till the end :p

What exactly do you mean with one claim or multiple claims :?

I feel that I'm lacking in English :/

Is it possible for example to go to a vet for 5 problems in 1 year and then around the end of the year to contact the insurance. So that you would only pay the excess once? (whether that is 75, 55, 50 etc)

No. It doesn't matter at what point in the year you contact them - if it's 5 conditions then you pay an excess each on all 5 conditions.

So that sounds as if you have 5 different conditions you pay 5 times, the excess? but if you go to a vet 5 times for the same that you only pay 50?

Yes, this is how it works. If you have already put a claim in for the one condition that year, every other time you claim in that policy year you just mark your claim form as "continuation" and they know not to charge the excess again.

For example, Erin had a tooth root abscess. I claimed for the treatment (somewhere around £300 I think). 4 months later she needed a dental which was about £80. The need for the dental was caused because she had a tooth removed when she had the abscess removed so technically it was a continuation (in my mind it was anyway!) so I put a form in and hoped the insurer (Pet Plan) would see it the same way ... otherwise at £80 minus excess there would be no point in claiming. They paid :D

Last edited:
Thanks Bunny Buddy,

That made it much more clear.:D

I just got a quote from pinnacle.co.uk
15 a month 50 excess, up to 2000 vet fees
and then
a pdf of Helpucover
Only it is slightly different than the one I had already from Helpucover.
In the helpucover one it says we will not pay for, then a list of standard things. In the pinnacle one, it doesn't say we will not pay for, but just has the list. but later on it does state we will not pay for. It's dodgy :lol:

I'm leaning towards helpucover now...
I read something about flystrike, they wont cover the second flystrike etc, they do the first.
..Is there a high risk of fly strike? Its a housebun :shock:

I wanted to start with an insurance on monday cause I'm getting her on saturday but maybe its better until I've actually been to the vet with her? I have an appointment on monday to get her vaccinated :)

Back