• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Oops naughty Py...

Rab-bit

Alpha Buck
Me and OH got home tonight after a week away and Py our housebun had.....

Chewed every wire we own connecting tv, computer, DVD player & wii. Basically he got in behind the centre speaker and had access to everything. The pet sitter obvs didn't notice but luckily we had turned off all the plugs!phew.

Thing is OH is really mad and it has ruined our home coming somewhat. I honestly thought he was going to chuck him out :( but he is just really mad with him which is upsetting as he was starting to care for him.... Why do us bun lovers not care about this stuff as much as our OH? How do we make them forgive poor buns??

Oh dear! I'm glad your bunny is okay!

You can get cable protectors/trunking to protect the wires (and bunny) from chewing.

I don't understand how people can get mad at animals, they're not doing it maliciously, just following instinct! Yes it's very bad luck but it could have been a lot worse - hopefully he'll forgive him, but I can imagine it was a big initial shock!

Oh dear! I'm glad your bunny is okay!

You can get cable protectors/trunking to protect the wires (and bunny) from chewing.

I don't understand how people can get mad at animals, they're not doing it maliciously, just following instinct! Yes it's very bad luck but it could have been a lot worse - hopefully he'll forgive him, but I can imagine it was a big initial shock!

I totally agree.

We have every single wire/cable in our house in flexible plastic conduit that is available in large rolls fairly cheaply. It means ours housebun who is very good generally can chew without getting to the wires.
Our tv stand has a sheet of clear perspex across it so he cannot jump in and squeeze past the machines to the wires at the back.
He has never bothered about the tv remote until the other day when he was feeling miffed at a baby being in the house and he jumped up onto chair arm and carefully peeled of all the rubber buttons:lol::lol:. We had a good laugh and shook our head at our silliness for leaving it where he could get it.
If you have a house rabbit you get damage, do your best to bunny proof and keep things out of their way but its the price you pay for that lovely cute fluffy ears on legs that is such fun every day:love:

Thanks for your replies everyone. It really was stupidity on my behalf OH had built a cabinet and all other cables in the room are in trunking. We thought the cables at the back of the cabinet were safe, although stupidly I did think "I bet Py could get through that gap if he tried!!!":oops: but I didn't act on it.
He is forgiving him slowly but I still don't up understand how he can blame Py, and I agree whole heartedly with Tillia and Tulsi .... Py is an animal following his instinct I have tried to explain this but still nothing - perhaps a lot of it is initial shock!

I told my Mum today and got the same reaction, she was on Greg's side and said I have to be angry too - to be honest I'm not, it was a stupid mistake and nothing can be done about it, although I have certainly learnt to trust my instinct now!!

Before we moved Loki was in a pen in the living room. All live wires were rabbit proofed but the phone socket was behind Loki's pen and it was a nightmare to rabbit proof :roll: Loki ate through 3 Internet cables in about a year and a half :oops: :lol:

My OH runs an Internet business...

Each time it happened he got stressed and angry and the first time he shouted at the rabbit :shock: :evil: it was one of the few times we have ever had a shouting match because it wasn't Loki's fault!!! But it made James think, he was still angry that it had happened when it happened again but he wasn't angry at the rabbit. Don't get me wrong there were some choice expletives muttered in his direction but he wasn't angry with him.

Is your OH maybe doing the same, he is angry that it has happened and Py's little fluffy face is a convenient target for the anger even if deep down he knows it isn't really Py's fault?

I know how you feel. I have a very, very norty bunny. :lol: He is a total destructo bun and has chewed and destroyed everything he can get hold of. I had a crash course in bunny proofing when he hopped into my life. Literally as I was reading your thread my Dad came down (my buns live in my bedroom) and was saying "Your rabbit is gnawing at your door!", I told him he doesn't chew my door unless it's left open a crack (he chews the door until he can get his nose through the gap :lol:). But nooo, my Dad insisted that he was just sat there chewing the door. :roll: He doesn't do this...and if he does, the door is completely knackered anyway, so it doesn't matter. :lol: I went up and picked him up and gave him and kiss and a cuddle and my Dad stormed off to bed.

It is sad when people you live with (especially your OH) don't really understand your animals. What you have to make them see, is that bunnies (and other animals) never do thing specifically to annoy you. I know that some rabbits (and I know Fiver is included in this) destroy things for attention, or because you have displeased them :lol:, but there is always a reason. Your bun was obviously rather annoyed and bored that you had decided to leave him. Fiver gets sooo norty when I leave him, one time my friends looked after him in a run and hutch attachment (indoors)..he chewed his way out of the roof of the run. :shock: :lol:

Although you may think things are bunny proofed (even after you cover up the eaten wires) I guarantee that you will find something he can get to. I *think* that after 6 years, Fiver has nothing more to destroy in my room, although he escaped a few months ago and chewed through all the cables downstairs and stripped the wallpaper off in the front room. :oops: :lol: My Dad went mental!

I hope your OH forgives him soon.

I think if you go to any indoor buns home then you will find a list of what they have eaten. It happens and yu just have to learn from it, bun proof it and laugh at it in a couple of years. I cant count the number of wires Lola has been through. Hope your OH learns to understand that Py is just being a rabbit.

I would be angry at myself for making it possible. There is no point in being angry at an animal.
Besides my dog has done so much more damage.
He ate my new smartphone, brand new expensive hiking boots, that sort of stuff :lol:
I still love him!

Aren't there like repair shops where they can put new cables? Are there not DIY tutorials :O?

Hiya :wave:

Your OH should be annoyed with himself and not Py. I said this to my OH when he was "going" to put cable covers on the speaker wires and never got round to it then moaned when they got munched! :roll:

Your OH that could have got the cable cover or made the cables more secure - Py was just being a bun x

I hope everything settles down.

Back