• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

My male rabbit has past away :(

Wonka

New Kit
Hi, I rehomed a male rabbit called Troy last march. He was a lovely boy and the whole family fell in love with him straight away. I was told that he was 2 years old. I had him neutered and all vaccinations done and then we started looking for a female for him as thought it was sad that he was on his own. We found Sarah in the adoption part of pets at home and she is now 20 months old.( they are both Dutch by the way ) well we had her spayed and vaccinations done and started the bonding process. It went slowly as Sarah was not so friendly to start with but eventually they fell in love :) they moved in together and were so happy. Then 2 weeks before Christmas Troy started to lose weight. I took him to the vets and they said it was a tummy upset and put an order in for a probiotic. This was on the Friday and the Meds would be there for Monday. The vet also said that he could possibly be a lot older that we were told. Sadly on the Sunday Troy had a stroke and pasted away. What made it worse for Sarah was that I was at work at the time and my daughter thought that it would be better for them both to separate them at the end. I have read that Sarah might have been more able to accept his death if she had been with him. She now seems ok but I feel so sad for her. They shared a brick shed at night and went in an outside chicken coop with attached run each day. I have continued this routine with Sarah and she seems ok in the shed and is eating in there but not as active and inquisitive as she was before. But when she goes in the coop she does not eat and just sits in one place. Their last day together was in the coop and I don't know if I'm over thinking things or if she has sad memories of that day. I'm giving her lots of cuddles and time but wonder if I should try her with another bunny? I would appreciate any help and advice :)

I'm sorry you lost your bun. I would try and bond her again. If you have a rescue near you they may be able to bond her for you

Hi, I rehomed a male rabbit called Troy last march. He was a lovely boy and the whole family fell in love with him straight away. I was told that he was 2 years old. I had him neutered and all vaccinations done and then we started looking for a female for him as thought it was sad that he was on his own. We found Sarah in the adoption part of pets at home and she is now 20 months old.( they are both Dutch by the way ) well we had her spayed and vaccinations done and started the bonding process. It went slowly as Sarah was not so friendly to start with but eventually they fell in love :) they moved in together and were so happy. Then 2 weeks before Christmas Troy started to lose weight. I took him to the vets and they said it was a tummy upset and put an order in for a probiotic. This was on the Friday and the Meds would be there for Monday. The vet also said that he could possibly be a lot older that we were told. Sadly on the Sunday Troy had a stroke and pasted away. What made it worse for Sarah was that I was at work at the time and my daughter thought that it would be better for them both to separate them at the end. I have read that Sarah might have been more able to accept his death if she had been with him. She now seems ok but I feel so sad for her. They shared a brick shed at night and went in an outside chicken coop with attached run each day. I have continued this routine with Sarah and she seems ok in the shed and is eating in there but not as active and inquisitive as she was before. But when she goes in the coop she does not eat and just sits in one place. Their last day together was in the coop and I don't know if I'm over thinking things or if she has sad memories of that day. I'm giving her lots of cuddles and time but wonder if I should try her with another bunny? I would appreciate any help and advice :)

Aw I'm so sorry to hear about that :( I hope Sarah is ok and she picks up soon. Sending you hugs

welcome to the forum, so sorry its in sad circumstances, hope sarah is ok, just give her lots of tlc im sure she will be fine, then when if you wanted to and feel ready maybe find her a rescue friend :wave:

Hello and welcome! :wave:

I'm so sorry you lost your boy :cry: I think Sarah would appreciate a new friend when you're ready. Binky free Troy xx

Thank you all for your comments. Sarah is getting on ok but I think that I will start looking for another mate for her. I can't stop thinking about her outside on her own. I was the same when we first got Troy. Once they were together I felt so much happier for them that they had each other to snuggle up to :)

I am sorry for your loss of Troy.:(:( When the time comes to find Sarah a new hunbun, have a look on Rabbit re-home as I feel sure you will find a perfect partner. Many of the rescues re-home nationwide aand offer a bonding service too.

Take care at this sad time for yourself and of course Sarah.

Forgot to mention, perhaps pop a soft toy in with Sarah, as in my experience many recently bereaved bunnies appreciate having something soft to snuggle to. Make sure though that there are no bits and pieces which could be bitten off and swallowed.

Last edited:
I am sorry for your loss of Troy.:(:( When the time comes to find Sarah a new hunbun, have a look on Rabbit re-home as I feel sure you will find a perfect partner. Many of the rescues re-home nationwide aand offer a bonding service too.

Take care at this sad time for yourself and of course Sarah.

Forgot to mention, perhaps pop a soft toy in with Sarah, as in my experience many recently bereaved bunnies appreciate having something soft to snuggle to. Make sure though that there are no bits and pieces which could be bitten off and swallowed.

Thanks for your help, I am going to look into rescues near me :) I have today bought a snuggle safe for Sarah to make sure that she is warm enough in this awful weather. I did try her in an indoor cage but our house is not the quietest and she seemed very unsettled. Seems ok being back out in her shed and is eating well :)

Back