• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Toy advise pls and a bit of housing....

Fluffs mum

Warren Scout
Evening all....

The buns are outside in a playhouse and attached run . The run has corregated plastic on the top and down one side the other side near to a fence so protected . The playhouse has hay/litter box and Dan amazon hidey house stuffed with straw. They also have a large hay box in run to snuggle in. As it now starting to dip below freezing do I need to but a hole in the door and add more to the roof of the playhouse? Unless it is windy they are always in the run and sitting on the cold concrete ! :roll: but am feeling she door should be shut with hole / cat flap in the door ?

Toy wise I need help. Tried all the cardboard / paper toys with treat in or hay and fluff just destroys and then starts to eat the cardboard, to plastic planter ... I do rotate their toys but neither of them seem to have intert in bell toys baby toys etc the hidey house is now in the correct place for them so they don't crawl underneath and bump it out .

They love most balls they can chew it the willow/ reed thin white ones ? So any other help that does not contain plastic , cardboard or bells please. They have a dig box in the run that is a covered with flap cat litter tray ..

..... Alllllll help appreciated !

893065_10151895496476374_98182210_o.jpg

Not sure if the above photo will help, obviously very different types of accomodations but I have shared it to show the tunnel mostly and the wooden boredom breakers (Not great with describing)
My 3 kits all have different 'tastes' in toys but luckily they all seem happy with the choice here. Also I give loofah toys. They seem to like them! these 3 ain't fussy over balls so like you I had to go to the drawing board lol the tunnels are expensive from pets shops but I got mine off a site called viovet :) theres loads of things on there, worth a look xx

Evening all....

The buns are outside in a playhouse and attached run . The run has corregated plastic on the top and down one side the other side near to a fence so protected . The playhouse has hay/litter box and Dan amazon hidey house stuffed with straw. They also have a large hay box in run to snuggle in. As it now starting to dip below freezing do I need to but a hole in the door and add more to the roof of the playhouse? Unless it is windy they are always in the run and sitting on the cold concrete ! :roll: but am feeling she door should be shut with hole / cat flap in the door ?

Toy wise I need help. Tried all the cardboard / paper toys with treat in or hay and fluff just destroys and then starts to eat the cardboard, to plastic planter ... I do rotate their toys but neither of them seem to have intert in bell toys baby toys etc the hidey house is now in the correct place for them so they don't crawl underneath and bump it out .

They love most balls they can chew it the willow/ reed thin white ones ? So any other help that does not contain plastic , cardboard or bells please. They have a dig box in the run that is a covered with flap cat litter tray ..

..... Alllllll help appreciated !

Hi :wave: do you mean you have to leave the playhouse door open for them for run access? If so I would definitely recommend a cat flap as it would make the playhouse a lot warmer and keep out the wind and rain.

For toys, mine love those arches you bend in to shape yourself similar to these http://t.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/tunnels/tunnels/227525
And I have a terracotta/clay chimney pot I have laid on its side in the run, they love that too. And I have some sections of tree trunk they love jumping up and down from. They have shelves and a chair in the shed, they love jumping up and down from those

My boys are chewers too, they once chewed the side off a cat litter tray :shock: so anything they can chew goes down well. They love apple sticks, I bought some off fluffs on here, but I've just been given a sack full of prunings so they'll keep them going for a while.

But most of all, mine just love racing around binkying, they're pretty manic :lol:

893065_10151895496476374_98182210_o.jpg

Not sure if the above photo will help, obviously very different types of accomodations but I have shared it to show the tunnel mostly and the wooden boredom breakers (Not great with describing)
My 3 kits all have different 'tastes' in toys but luckily they all seem happy with the choice here. Also I give loofah toys. They seem to like them! these 3 ain't fussy over balls so like you I had to go to the drawing board lol the tunnels are expensive from pets shops but I got mine off a site called viovet :) theres loads of things on there, worth a look xx

:wave: Sami90, those toys look like great fun :thumb: my buns had those hanging daisy ones and loved chewing them to bits :lol:

I hope you don't mind me pointing out that the cage your bunnies is in looks too small, the RWAF recommends a minimum of 6ftx2ftx2ft with a permanently attached run of 8ftx4ft giving a total area of 44square feet. Some people use those cages without the lid as a litter tray and use puppy pens to provide a safe bunny proof area.

I used to use shavings too, but have learnt since joining here they can cause respiratory problems and should be avoided, I use rubber matting in my bunny shed, you could use Lino, and then most people use newspaper and hay in their litter trays, you can use paper based cat litter or wood pellet cat litter, or auboise or fitch bedding.

Toys - I have the same issue with mine eating cardboard & plastic, and I also give them everything Zoobec just mentioned! For the tree trunks ask a local tree surgeon and check it's safe wood. I also have a 300mm pipe offcut rescued from a building site.

I also put their hay in lots of different places around the shed and run e.g. willow baskets, wooden boxes, hay rack and hanging food ball http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/13210 and sprinkle different dried herbs/leaves/readigrass in each pile for them to forage.

I also have a metal fruit holder http://m.zooplus.co.uk/shop/small_pets/accessories/hay_racks/342916 and thread small willow balls, dried apple leaves and twigs onto it, to slow the destruction a bit! :p

Grass/seagrass/water hyacinth mats are popular too

Regarding the playhouse - insulation and a catflap will give you peace of mind that they have somewhere snug to retreat to even if they don't choose to most of the time..! You could also use a snugglesafe heat pad in the hidey house (I bury it under newspaper and straw to protect it from being chewed)

Last edited:
Thank you all. Like the hanging ball will have another look around the site it's been awhile.

Had happy buns this morning as changed everthing round in their run today again take everything out an give it a really good brush, get lots of excited nose bumps .... Then fluff rearranged it :) whist out there it started to hammer down so had to shut the roof again and sit in with the buns swhilst he was rearranging ... Kept looking at me as if to say please get out of the way I want to put something there ...

Will have a hole cut in the door today ... Although they are sitting on t)3 cold concrete again today.

Back