• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

A new pets at home

Schez

Mama Doe
.. Has just opened in our area...

Naturally I went along to investigate...

I went in.

I snooped.

Came back out.

Breath Schez...

Result?
I'm writing an email... :evil:

Plus I heard a dad say to an under two child in a buggy:

Shall we play with the new hamster tomorrow...

:shock: oh dear lord...

Grrr ... I can understand your frustration. I made a decision back in August to stay away from ALL pet shops because of the tiny hunches etc that they stock and am buying my supplies online instead.

The poor hamster having to be subjected to a toddler's clumsy handling tomorrow. That's shocking :( plus the poor child is bound to get nipped !!!

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Oh hell. I am so glad that I dont live near one.

Good for you sending an email ...

I've had to start doing my rabbit shopping online, nearly told off a kid that was banging on the glass of the rabbit area trying to get them to come closer, and nobody was telling him to stop :evil: I only pop in now if I have to, and to see who's in the adoption section.

I know... :(

Some of the pets at home "deals" are ok, such as cat food etc. but until they sort out the animal welfare side of things they can :censored: for all I care.

Urgh. Small accommodation... And is it right for chinchillas to have raised wire bottoms to their tiny, glass tanks?! :shock:

The bunnies were on wood shavings, full bowls of food but not a strand of hay in sight.

The family who were buying the hammy had a tiny, blue hamster set up in hand and some of the advice they were being given was... Well... Minimal. (Yep, I was eavesdropping :oops:)
There was a gerbil scrabbling manically at the corner of his tank and someone with a MASSIVE dog walked it right by the bunnies... Tiny little duchies they looked like, and they were petrified. :(

I will not be going back, unless I get a reply in which case, I will go and investigate again to see if anything has been done. :roll:

On a lighter note

The other pet supply shop in my area has officially stated they will no longer be selling pets... Hurrah! :D guess I can go shopping there and online for supplies. :thumb:

Oh and here in Ireland the largest hutch in any pet shop is about 4 ft. The largest indoor cage available is 120 cms :( I had to travel up to pets at home in NI a few years ago to get my 140 cm cage for the piggies.

There is one online store that sell 6 foot hutches here and that is the place I buy my food and readigrass etc. We don't have any minimum requirements here for bunnies and the Dublin spca don't even neuter bunnies and are always mis sexing them and I know people who have adopted pregnant does :(

Sorry I'm gone completely off topic.rant over !!! Well done for making a stand and keep us updated on any word back from pets at home won't you ? :)

I daren't visit stores that sell bunnies. The only time I have been in one this year was when we took the Brownies to a small animals workshop. I must admit I was very impressed by the respect shown to the animals and encouraged from the children. Perhaps one of the better branches.

I buy most of Spenser's supplies online, apart from supermarket hay from his basin.

Grrr ... I can understand your frustration. I made a decision back in August to stay away from ALL pet shops because of the tiny hunches etc that they stock and am buying my supplies online instead.

The poor hamster having to be subjected to a toddler's clumsy handling tomorrow. That's shocking :( plus the poor child is bound to get nipped !!!

Me too I only buy online or pet shops that don't sell live stock as I just upsets me too much! Poor hamster x

I went to the pets at home on saturday.
I ordered all my stuff online from different shops (usually because of the prices :p) but because I'm not sure if it will arrive on time I went to the pets at home to buy food. I was mostly annoyed at the price 5 pound for 2 kg Science Selective Junior -_-
I also went to look at how the animals were kept.
To be honest it didn't look too bad if I compare it to the shops in holland.
In holland all the rabbbits are in 1 cage with like 3 or 4 rabbits and the cage is really small, here the cages were of course too small (but bigger then the ones in Holland) but they had one rabbit each. I did notice the woodshavings as well. They had a lot of hay each!
Now what I really really didn't like were the 4 degu's in one tiny cage going crazy!
Also the adoption area had far smaller cages for the animals.
I did notice that they seem to give the correct information on leaflets and stickers about food, hay, and 2 rabbits instead of 1 etc. But they don't seem to apply it themselves..

*taps foot impatiently*

Still no reply from the email I sent to P@H....

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt as it was New Years etc inbetween...:?
Has anyone else emailed and actually got a reply?

:?:

Back