• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Showing

Having seen the way rabbits are treated at shows in the UK it's not something I'd wish to subject my rabbits to. Have watched videos of judges being overly rough and the tiny cages that the rabbits are held in for the duration of the show. I also don't really agree with the idea of breeding for deformities such as squashed faces, overly long ears, tiny bodies etc. That's just my view of course.

Having seen the way rabbits are treated at shows in the UK it's not something I'd wish to subject my rabbits to. Have watched videos of judges being overly rough and the tiny cages that the rabbits are held in for the duration of the show. I also don't really agree with the idea of breeding for deformities such as squashed faces, overly long ears, tiny bodies etc. That's just my view of course.

I agree with this :wave:

There are more bad sides to showing rabbits than good. The good sides are it encourages the shower to look after their bunnies better (in order to win a prize) and to interact more with rhe rabbits.

On the down side:

It encourages breeding to get a show quality rabbit, hence many are not acceptable so have to be rehomed (if you can).

The rabbits taking part in shows have to travel fairly long distances in cramped cages. Then they have to be exhibited on the show table.

Many show people bend the rules so their rabbit will win which includes unhealthy practices.

Showing rabbits is really (imo) selfish. The shower is first and foremost thinking of their own prestige and the rabbits come second (if that).

To show Dutch rabbits, for instance, so many (I forget the number, but it is a staggering amount) have to be bred before a suitable one is born.

There are so many other ways a person can show their love for rabbits other than using them for showing.

You're unlikely to find many people on this forum who would be in favour of showing, I'm afraid! Do you have purebred bunnies with BRC rings? That's what you need in order to enter a 'proper' rabbit show. Other bunnies, even if they are purebred, can only be shown in the 'pet' classes.

Personally I would not advise it, as it is always going to be detrimental to the welfare of your bunnies and serves no useful purpose to them at all. At best, it means taking them in a carrier away from their familiar environment (and possibly their friends if they live together) and putting them alone into a wire cage with nowhere to hide in an unfamiliar setting with noises, smells, possibly lots of people staring into the cages, to be taken out and handled in an unfamiliar and potentially rough way by people they don't know. None of that is any good for their welfare and does absolutely nothing to benefit the rabbit and can only cause stress and unsettling.

The only 'benefit' in my opinion it is only good for the owner's ego if the bunny wins something...but there are far better ways to be proud of your lovely bunnies which don't involve compromising their happiness and welfare.

Thanks for all you replys. I have no experience of showing. Never been to a show so your comments have helped alot. My aim wasn't to upset my rabbits or boost my ego. Just seeing if it was something fun I could do with them. I think I need to think again! Thank you.

I think it's great that you are re-considering showing your rabbits.

I don't like how roughly the rabbits are treated at shows either and they always look so depressed squished in those tiny show cages.
I cant think of many rabbits that like being handled or being around lots of people and noise.

:D Spending time with them, watching them do their rabbity things is the best way to enjoy time with your bunnies, not showing them :thumb:

Back