• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grieving behaviour - Updated: 31/12/2013

GrahamL

Wise Old Thumper
I knew it was going to hit Biscuit hard, but I wasn't sure what to expect.

He's 'ok' physically but has reverted to a Biscuit of old, he has no confidence, he is very flighty, very nervous even around me, but is heeling to me whenever I walk into the room and then follows me around. It's like he has reverted to exactly how he was before Ginger came home.

He's moping, grieving, lost - he isn't doing anything unless it's food related and even then, it's lack luster. He's sat on my office chair for the majority of the day as I can't be there when I'm looking after Joshua ...

I guess what I'm trying to find out is, would this be expected behaviour? To me it seems very grief oriented so seems 'normal' but bar spending as much time as possible with him, what could I do immediately?

I spent a couple of hours cleaning the room this morning and moved everything round, but left blankets, boxes etc in there that were there before so Gingers scent is still there in case he gets comfort from them, is that right/ok?

He's frantically searched for her from what I can watch on about 3 occasions and then goes back to the chair in a solemn state.

I've hidden food around the room and hidden some in hard to get to places, just to keep him stimulated but he's too smart for me and finds it all too quickly.

I knew this was going to be hard, but didn't know it would be THIS hard.
Thanks for anyone who replies.

Hi Gray, it's awful isn't it :( I remember all too well how Olly was when Honey died. He was very similar to what you describe. I don't know if it's possible in your house, but i found it made a massive difference to him when I moved him to a different part of the house. It was also much better when absolutely nothing smelled of Honey any more, although it killed me to remove all traces of her :( While he remained in their room he was very depressed, but after moving him downstairs he improved massively and started to show interest in things again.
You could also give Biccy a soft toy for company; Olly didn't want one, he was scared of it, but some bunnies like them.
I do hope he'll be ok :( thinking of you all x

It might be just a case of giving him time to adjust to being alone. Same as us really. Sending vibes for him xx

I'm sorry Gray, I wish I had some suggestions, but I think you've been given good advice already. I'm sure the only other thing that would maybe be mentioned would be getting Biscuit a new friend, but it is likely far too soon for that. (Not to mention a bit too much for you to think of as well, or if it is even possible.)
I will include some special snuggles for Biccy from me too though and to let you know I'm thinking of you all during this difficult time. xx

George was like that when Gemma went to the Bridge:( Because they were my only indoor bunnies I think I noticed it more. I'm not around all day like you are and work long hours so I adopted Violet from BARC as soon as I could. I wasn't ready for another bun, but George has gone back to being George again now and, with time, I have grown to love Violet. She will never be Gemma, but she is Violet and just as special in a different way.

George is more of a 'bunny' bunny, than a human bunny so he much prefers Violet's company to mine. I am just 'the bringer of noms', although he does allow me to pick him up for a cuddle sometimes.

I don't know if you are considering another bun at some point in the future, Gray? I would imagine that with Joshua to care for and a full-time job, you are probably struggling to fit everything in as it is. If you are planning to keep Biccy as a single bun, hopefully, he will learn to adjust and to enjoy the company of his humans.

Thinking of you all xxxx

It's hard to know what to do for the best, as I have found each bunnies grieving (just like us humans) can be so very different. But in most instances with mine I've offered them cuddly toys to snuggle up with until I've got my head round which is the next best step to take.

Poor Biscuit :( thinking of you all. x

i really feel for biscuit, and for you. :( when matt passed, bisc went through a range of emotions. he would be angry, sad, and then very clingy. it's heartbreaking to see, and feel aswell yourself. i guess just be there for him, let him know you are there and try and comfort each other. you're no doubt doing this anyway but there isn't really much else apart from get through a day at a time. x

Graham, it sounds as if you are doing everything possible to help Biscuit through this very sad, difficult and distressing time for you both. In my opinion, Biscuit's behaviour is very similar to many other bunnies that I have known over the years and have lost their partners. It is heartbreaking to see the remaining bunny wondering where their partner has gone. Biscuit is so very lucky to have you caring for him and hopefully over time his heavy heart will lift.

Thinking of you and Biscuit. xxx

If you wish you could always pm me or give me a ring if you want or need someone to talk to, or just to listen.

I'm so sorry Graham. I haven't been about a great deal recently, so I didn't know you had lost Ginger.

Would it be possible to have Biscuit in other areas of the house? Just for a change of scenery?

I'm not sure if the smell of Ginger in the room is right or wrong, only that if he catches scent of it, it may be why he looks for her. But really I don't know what to suggest for the better.

Hugs xxx

Well, it's been a few days, and Biscuit has definitely improved.

He's still spending a lot of time on 'The Chair' with a new blanket I bought him to squidge up to, which he dug up into a bunny sized lump and lays with.

That said, he's hopping around the room, goes nuts for food and everytime I walk into the room will run and follow me - he can actually RUN too :shock: I've not seen Biscuit at speed for literally, years, but my god can that bunny move. He will play chase, is playing with a treat ball (i'm putting all pellets in treat balls to keep his mind busy).

It's getting easier for him i'm sure, he misses her an awful lot, who wouldn't? But it's certainly an improvement.

Today is my first day back at work so I am in the office all day, so he will have a lot of company today, which im glad about - hopefully he'll enjoy it too :)

:cry: Sorry to have missed your first post, it sounds very similar to how Mini was. She'd hide under the bed wanting her own space but then at other times she'd want to be with me and close to me and would get on the bed. The only thing that helped was time. I also gave her a few new bits and pieces to give her a bit of a change and something new to explore and nibble.

I'm glad Biscuit is feeling a bit happier :) It took a while for Bella to get back to her normal self after Boris passed away too, it was horrible to see because she's usually such a happy, outgoing bunny and she just lost that spark completely. I'm in no position to take on another rabbit so unfortunately it looks like she'll stay single. We all try to spend as much time with her as possible, and she has a soft toy that she grooms for ages. I hope she's not feeling too lonely :(

Back