• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Help me please (Buck Sebastian)

My 8 week old bunny has seriously broken his knee. The vet gave us three options-
1) operation
2) amputation
3) put him down
And we can't afford the op. What should I do??? Wouldn't it be cruel to cut off a leg? Do rabbits cope?

There are people who do have rabbits with an amputated leg and I think they cope pretty well. Is there anyway you could pay monthly at your vets? If not and you really cant afford it I would go with giving the bun a chance on three legs

There are people who do have rabbits with an amputated leg and I think they cope pretty well. Is there anyway you could pay monthly at your vets? If not and you really cant afford it I would go with giving the bun a chance on three legs

Thanks. Is it common for bunnies to break their legs? There are quite allot of posts about it. I'm just so worried about him, even though he doesn't seem to be in pain at the moment. I'm giving him metacam, and there isn't much else I can do right now... Going to the vets on Monday, to see what. He'll say. So cute, his friend Winston is missing him bad!!!

Rabbits have fragile bones and they can damage themselves quite easily. This is why its important to be careful when picking them up as they can break their own back from kicking out and struggling. Rabbits are very good at hiding pain, its a defence from being a pray animal. I would see if you can get your bun seen to today if possible to have the leg removed. If you cant get to the vets until monday how are you keeping your bun?

I have a Rabbit who has had a hind leg amputation after sustaining a compound fracture when he was less than one year of age. He recovered very well and he is 6 years old now. I also had a Doe who only had one front leg. Her mother over-groomed her when she was born. So she only ever knew having 3 legs. She lived for over 8 years with no problems with mobility at all.

So as long as you have a competent Vet I would opt for amputation.

aslong as you have a very good rabbit vet then i would go for the amputation. give that a chance because from what i have read, rabbits do seem to cope very well with only three legs. alot of vets will offer a payment plan aswell for treatment that is very expensive. discuss this with them and see what they say. best of luck. :wave:

Back