• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Advise on bunny dental

foxy2279

Alpha Buck
My oldest daughters rabbit Belle was not looking right yesterday. She called me to look at her as she was very slow eating her tea. She looked like her whole face was scrunched up in pain. I did a basic health check and noticed she also had a weepy eye. Rushed her to the vets. Vet looked in her mouth but couldn't see any spurs. But said the most likely cause is dental so she is booked in for first thing Monday. She is also going to have x-rays to check tooth roots as he said it could be that as well. He gave her a painkilling injection and i have oral metcam for her. He also gave me recovery food for her. My instructions for the weekend are to keep her eating.

Having never had a dental bunny before what after care is involved. I have a pen i can set up indoors post operation. Is it the same as post spay where you have to keep them warn and encourage them to eat?

Depending on the findings during the procedure some Rabbits may take a bit of time to start eating again. For example if there is soft tissue damage in the mouth this will take a couple of days yo heal once any sharp teeth have been sorted out. If the Xray reveals tooth root elongation this would indicate more advanced dental disease and post operative pain can be greater. So good post op' analgesia is something that should be a priority for the Vet to address.

Yes, the Rabbit will need to be indoors after the GA. Assisted feeding may also be needed but it is important to try to get the Rbbit to eat for themselves ASAP. It is also absolutely essential to monitor fecal output. Gut motility medication may be required to ensure that the Rabbit does not go into gut stasis as a result of a poor food intake and the stress of a GA.

Most Rabbits recover quickly from Dental procedures. But older Rabbits, Rabbits with more advanced Dental problems, overweight Rabbits and Rabbits with other health issues may take considerably longer.

Hope all goes well on Monday xx

Thank you Jane that was really helpful thank you for taking the time to type it out for me. Very worried about her, She is my daughters baby and she loves her to pieces.

Great advice from Jane - I go through this regularly with Woody. It's incredibly stressful but everything will be okay :thumb:

Good luck.

Back