• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do bunnies ever just "go off" particular foods?

CwningenBach

Warren Scout
Hello!

Long time since I posted here, sorry it's always in needy circumstances!

Just wondering - Navi Rabbit appears to have gone off Science Selective. Immediate thought was "oh no, vet, teeth, panic!" but then I've watched her very closely last two days and she is acting entirely normally, drinking, pooing, seeing, chewing everything as usual, eating hay, eagerly eating broccoli/basil/carrot/apple and just ... normal. The only thing that isn't normal is she seems to be far less interested in her SS.

She will eat some of it and then leave the rest, which is very unusual. I considered potential dental issues of course, but the way she is lapping up /everything/ else makes me think otherwise. I know broccoli etc is softer, but she seems to have no hesitation whatsoever with that, or hay, or even the boxes she shouldn't be chewing on! She also jumped on the sofa earlier and ran across the room with a mini Mars bar. :roll: Obvs we got it back off her, but gotta admire her intent.

Has this ever happened to you?

Ta,
Stuart

If this were my buns I would wonder if I'd got a bad batch of dried food?

Unless they were getting LOADS of other food that was much tastier, my buns would never go off their dried food :)

Would air getting to the dried food make it taste a bit grim? Sherlock Bun is happy enough with it admittedly, but for some reason that I can't explain, with this 10KG bag of SS, we haven't done a great job at covering it. I'll keep that in mind :thumb:

Yes, Ludo used to love mint then went off it.

He went off it after his operation, no idea why. Perhaps the anaesthetic made it taste funny? Anyway he still doesn't much like it now.

Would air getting to the dried food make it taste a bit grim? Sherlock Bun is happy enough with it admittedly, but for some reason that I can't explain, with this 10KG bag of SS, we haven't done a great job at covering it. I'll keep that in mind :thumb:

This is possible. Even batches of the same product can vary a little, so I try to remember and mix the last of the old batch with the first of the new when it comes to SS.

Any change in eating habits is worth keeping an eye on. :thumb: I'm doing this with my Spenser just now - he isn't quite as greedy with his SS as usual. In his case I think this may reflect him eating more hay as I have finally found a variety of Timothy hay his fussy palate considers eatable.

Thank you very much for replying. Interesting. Sherlock has always been a fussy eater, but Navi usually gulps anything down. Thought I'd ask because it's dried food, which if she decides she totally doesn't like, will be pretty... bizarre and a bit of a fiddle! Incidentally, with Christmas and everything, our usual food box has been moved around a lot etc. It is currently, whilst doing a late night tidy up, residing in our living room. Navi often likes jumping in it and gorging on Science Selective when the mood takes her (we stop her, of course)

However, 5 mins ago...

ScreenShot2013-12-27at225547_zps20a03991.png

Eating away at it. Perhaps our usual feeding routine could do with a change. She seems to have no trouble at all eating it or chewing other stuff, thankfully.

This is possible. Even batches of the same product can vary a little, so I try to remember and mix the last of the old batch with the first of the new when it comes to SS.

Any change in eating habits is worth keeping an eye on. :thumb: I'm doing this with my Spenser just now - he isn't quite as greedy with his SS as usual. In his case I think this may reflect him eating more hay as I have finally found a variety of Timothy hay his fussy palate considers eatable.

Good shout. I've noticed that often one bag of SS can be really quite different from another... and it's irritating! I'll keep a very close eye on her and buy a fresh bag of SS. Thanks as always Susie bun :)

Mine have became fussy with their SS before. The first time I noticed Lola started off a new bag while her sisters in the other room had the rest of the old bag. She stopped eating and we had her treated for stasis while finding no real cause (teeth etc were all fine)Then her sisters finished their bag and I gave them food from Lola's. They both stopped eating immediately too and I made the connection. I bought another new bag and they all started eating straight away. That cost me £200 in vet trips with Lola, not to mention the worry of them not eating :evil:

It has happened since aswell. I do find SS varies alot too. I started a thread about having a really cabbagey smelling bag once :? I was going to send samples to SS but never got round to it in the end.

Thank you, it's reassuring to know others see the differences in Science Selective too. It's very frustrating, but I suppose it's considered the best one... hopefully a new bag will make Navi fall back in love with it.

Just an update - went to feed Sherlock and Navi as normal this morning (Science Selective on a plate for them to share.) Sherlock as usual gobbled down, Navi ate a few then stopped. Let her out, she ran over to the hay we have on the other side of the room for them and gobbled that. They had been eating hay throughout the night too. I put some Science Selective next to where Navi was eating the hay and once she stopped eating that, she went straight to the SS and ate the lot, in-between chewing on a hay tunnel! Once she cleared the initial lot of SS, I gave her a few more pieces and she ate those too. So I don't think there's anything wrong with her teeth. Maybe just fed up of SS... maybe we've been giving her too much... maybe she's had one too many hay cookies over Christmas. She's munching the hay tunnel again right now. Little scamp.

Bizarre!

Back