• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Very lethargic rabbit but eating well

Hi I have some concerns for my 3 year old mini lop buck. He seems to be very lethargic, he just alternates between lying and sitting down in the same place when normally he likes to hop about and is extremely friendly, chinning and licking people :lol: Normally this would get me worried as he has suffered from GI Stasis in the past other than the fact that he is eating fine. When I wave a bit of spinach in his face he will grab it and scoff it down quickly but will then return to sitting or lying down and not moving at all which is really confusing :? I'm unsure whether he's ill or if prehaps he's just a little depressed as I understand rabbits can get the "winter blues" too??

Another theory I have is that he has a female companion that keeps mounting him and, as she's only just been done, still has the high hormone levels, but obviously he has no interest in such things as he has been done :oops: Could it just be that her behaviour is wearing him down?

Any help will be appreciated thx :)

Last edited:
Is your bunny pooing?

Does he seem uncomfortable? And is he eating normally, or only when you wave things in his face? If you put food elsewhere will he go and eat it?

Maybe he has sustained an injury to his back as a result of the constant mounting by the Doe.

It is important to monitor output (poo) as much as what he eats. Is his poo output still normal ?

I would get your Vet to examine him as that is the only way to determine if there is a physical problem or not.

Is your bunny pooing?

Does he seem uncomfortable? And is he eating normally, or only when you wave things in his face? If you put food elsewhere will he go and eat it?

Hi thanks for your response. I'm getting really mixed signals from him. He hasnt been eating his pellets and hay but he will eat his treats very well with out me having to wave them in his face. He seems like his normal self when he's eating - very greedy and excited and yes if I put food elsewhere he will go and get it but when he finishes he just reverts back to sitting/lying down and he won't move at all even when he sees me. Normally when he sees me he comes running but now he won't even acknowledge me when I put my hand in. He was definitely pooping this morning however it's difficult to tell when there's two bunnies in one hutch but about an hour ago I decided to separate them, though they can still see and sniff each other. As of yet I haven't seen any poops in his hutch. If I'm honest he's been lethargic for about two days now but today he seems a lot worse as before he would still hop about just not as much as usual. I'm really not sure what's wrong him :(

I would get your Vet to examine him as that is the only way to determine if there is a physical problem or not.

I agree with Jane's post. You really need to get him to a vet who can do a full examination to see if anything is going on. Any change in eating habits would be a worry, plus the fact he may not be pooing very much suggests he could be quite poorly. I hope the vet can find the problem and he is back to his usual self really soon.

Hi, I don't know whether this will help but my young bunny is having very similar symptoms. I took her to the vet this morning and they said it was serious as she was neither eating or pooing. She had medication given straight away and 'recovery plus' treatment given for me to feed her on an hourly basis. I think it is definitely worth speaking to a vet.

I have to say I would get him to a bunny-experienced vet too, as it's really difficult to know what's going on.

I hope he feels a lot better soon. He looks a real darling xx

I have to say I would get him to a bunny-experienced vet too, as it's really difficult to know what's going on.

I hope he feels a lot better soon. He looks a real darling xx

Thanks :) I'm gunna take me to the vets this morning as I noticed is belly feels really hard. I suspect he has gas and I know that it can be really dangerous in bunnies :(

Get him to a vet asap. I'm heartbroken that I was too late and little babybuns died in my arms last night. :( I'd noticed her being subdued for a few days but, at first it only seemed a vague 'not right'. They said it felt like she had a blockage last night so please, get there asap.x

Thank you Weedug. It's hard to accept a baby rabbit dying so young. She was a little beauty.

I'm terribly sorry to hear your news too flopstufty :(

Unfortunately it turns out my little Louis is in fact terribly ill. The vet I took him to on Saturday, which cost £51 alone, she just gave him the same medication he had last time and told me to wait until Monday for a rabbit expert to see him however, unlike last time, he didn't respond to the medication. On Sunday he stopped eating and I decided I couldn't wait until morning to take him to the vets and so drove him up to the emergency vets about 30 minutes away. As it turns out he does have GI stasis and as well as that he has so much gas in his tummy it's starting pushing on his lungs and he is having difficulties breathing. He's not responding well to treatment and the vet is saying there's a 50/50 chance of survival. Tonight is his second night in hospital and so far all the treatment has come to a total of just under £300 and we don't have insurance. I really don't know what to do I have a feeling if he doesn't improve by tomorrow after three days of treatment I will be faced with the possibility that he might have to be put down.

I really am devastated :cry:

:cry:

I am very sorry to hear how ill your Rabbit has become

Sadly bloat often leads to a very sad outcome :cry:

Has the Vet decompressed your Rabbit's stomach ?

I'm really sorry to hear this and I'm sending lots of vibes. Hope bunny starts responding to treatment v.soon

:cry:

I am very sorry to hear how ill your Rabbit has become

Sadly bloat often leads to a very sad outcome :cry:

Has the Vet decompressed your Rabbit's stomach ?

As it turned out he also had a tumour on his liver so there was nothing we could do. About 5 minutes ago the vet put him to sleep. Can't stop crying he was the best rabbit I ever had always very affectionate, chinning and licking me whenever he could.

RIP Louis <3

17.12.2010 - 31.12.2013 too young...

As it turned out he also had a tumour on his liver so there was nothing we could do. About 5 minutes ago the vet put him to sleep. Can't stop crying he was the best rabbit I ever had always very affectionate, chinning and licking me whenever he could.

RIP Louis <3

17.12.2010 - 31.12.2013 too young...

I am so very sorry :cry:

I'm so sorry you lost Louis :cry: Binky free little one.

I'm sorry you lost your bunny too Flopstufty :cry:

Sending hugs to you both xx

Back