• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What are your most ingenious ways of keeping tarp on hutches?

molly35

Mama Doe
As the title suggests any ideas, this wind just seems to be causing so much damage I cant keep up with it.

I use tarps over the garden sections of my outdoor set ups, which have wood frames and wire mesh panels. I use strong plastic clamps to hold the traps onto the wood sections where possible, and some really strong mini metal clips to hold other sections to the mesh (they're some sort of elecrtical clip, but have no idea what they're called!)

I know some people weight down tarps with bricks too.

Bricks did nothing for me the way I have the tarp on Charley's hutch/run, so I use toggles and even in the really awful wind we had last night it didn't budge.

It is pegged down the back in the ground, then bricks on the roof just to keep me from pulling too much and toggles are pulled tight through the mesh :)

You can see them quite well on these pictures :)

I use bungee cords (is that what they are called?!!! :lol:)

Same, although I used ball bungees (like a loop of bungee cord with a plastic ball on the end) rather than a long cord, wrapped the tarp securely around the hutch (making sure no big gusts of air can get under it), put two nails in it round the back of the hutch where I wont be removing it, and then I pulled each cord really hard where I want the tarp to be held in place when its down and put nails in to hook the bungee cords onto. This wind hasn't managed to move it yet and I can still put the front of it up and secure it using the same cords and nails :) It's a clear one too so when it's really bad through the day I can leave the cover down without having to worry about them being in the dark

Back