• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Settling bunnies in for their first night in new home

Mattie_G

Mama Doe
Hi all

Moving day is coming closer. We are driving down Saturday night (170 miles - buns will be in car in their dog crate with some nibbles and a blanket over most of it to make it dark and hopefully reduce stress but allow for ventillation.

Their new accommodation will be in the conservatory which is separated from the lounge and garden by french doors (to lounge) and single glass doors to the garden. They will have their crate the first night with a blanket over it but their hutch which is always left open anyway, will arrive the next day.

My main questions are:

1. Whilst traveling, when we stop at the services, which we will probably do, should I check on them, give them a snack etc or just leave them be (it will take about 2.5 - 3 hours);

2. When we get there, how should I release them into the conservatory? Should I just put the crate it and unlock it and leave it or should I stay with them for a while?

3. As our furniture won't be there, we are staying over at mum's (15 mins drive away). I can't take them with me as mum has dogs so it would not be suitable as no-where to put them safely. So how long should I stay with them to settle in? There are sofas in the lounge so I could stay over if necessary but I think staying with mum would be better for kids as they are going to be unsettled (my son has ASD too so it is even harder on him).

4. They are used to living in a shed in the garden at night and having free range in the day. The area we are moving to is bad for foxes. Do you think a couple of hours supervised play in our lounge and then back into their conservatory (which is about 6ft x 6ft) is enough? I want to get an aviary but I can't afford it this month. I thought about a run but I am so concerned about it not being secure enough with the foxes having been seen in the nearby gardens. There is a patio and I thought I could put a small one on there but really, when they are two giant buns weighing about 6kg each, a small run is an insult really.

I would welcome any comments/advice/tips please, as ever.

Mattie

I would provide them with hay for the trip, if they are used to veggies give them too and then that will give them water if they need it. Otherwise you could pop a water bottle on. I wouldn't bother about rest stop for them, check them but they probably won't appreciate snack stops.

I would take their litter tray and litter, plus any used bedding etc. the smell will help them feel settled. A smaller area will feel more secure so just the conservatory, don't swap rooms. I would watch them long enough to ensure they are eating/pooping after the trip and look settled.

thank you Tamsin. I will stick loads of hay in too although they only usually eat it when I mix with pellets. They only drink from a bowl unfortunately so not sure what to do. I guess will put a bottle on as so suspect they can but prefer bowl.

Good Luck with your move! :D

We moved about a 3.5 hour car journey away over the summer and I can empathise with how stressful moving can be!

I cant really offer loads of advice but that we did what Tamsin said and our bunnies were just fine.

Be careful with water bottle when in the car because we had one but it leaked all over the inside of the cage from the movement of the car. I didnt realise and I felt rather guilty afterwards that they had been sat on damp hay. I think only filling it a bit at a time would be better :) Mine only had hay for the journey and more hay and treats on arrival.

I let them out when we arrived in the room they now live in and sat with them for a while with treats. They were just fine and i bet yours will be too.

Hope it all goes well for you and your family.

To behonest I shouldn't think they'll drink much on a 3 hr trip anyway so a part filled bottle or some greens if they have them normally would be fine. As long as they have water as soon as they get home you could dispense with the bottle. It's not like it's mid summer and going to be very hot.

Edit: I would take spare things like a bottle/food with you though just in case you are delayed eg a break down and the trip takes longer than expected.

Thanks.

I got a water bottle today and more hay for the journey. I hope they will be ok. It is all immensely stressful. I have really had enough.

In October I moved my three from the south coast to Sheffield, the drive was over 4 hours, nearly 5. A couple of weeks later I picked up my lovely new girly and she made the same trip.

On the first trip I offered water laced with a little bit of fruit juice as a treat with their breakfast which they were given straight before being put in their carriers. That way I knew that they had full bellies and a drink before we set off. The carriers had lots of hay in them. A few hours in they got a grape each poked through the bars and I know 2 of them ate theirs!

At he new place I put the carriers in the rooms with a litter tray and a bowl of water and left them for about an hour. Then I fed them and made sure they were all eating and pooping. I left them alone again and checked them before I went to bed and topped up hay. Once they were eating I stopped worrying about them although I kept an eye out I just left them to settle. They kept the open carriers in there for a couple of days.

With Farore I did pretty much the same, fed before we left, offered water laced with a little fruit juice to encourage her to drink before we left. She didn't get the grape but I did peer through her carrier when we stopped halfway. At the other end she hopped out and demanded food straight away :lol: so I really didn't need to worry about her!

I would probably stay with your guys for a couple of hours before going to your mums, leave them be but make sure you know that they have both eaten, pooped and peed before you leave. My guys all coped brilliantly with a very stressful day. I'm sure yours will too!

Good luck! :wave:

Thanks Hele - sorry I thought I replied but obviously didn't.

They seem to have settled in well. They are in the conservatory. They have taken to stomping several times a day when they want to come into the lounge (which adjoins conservatory).

They have to go into boarding this weekend as we have to go back to Bury for Leccy's party so I am hoping they will be ok there. They certainly don't seem to have suffered too much on the journey :).

Back