• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Mimzy's toes sore again :( And really bad messy bum as well

MimzMum

Wise Old Thumper
I just had to give Mimzy a bum bath due to nasty smelling cecals smeared all over his belly and back legs/bits. :(
Upon looking him over I've discovered his front toes are all red and sore again. :( :(
He's been off baytril now for awhile and, after deciding against giving him the oral ketoconazole due to fears of hepatic problems, I've been trying his ear drops again and I wonder if he swallowed some and that's why his cecals are off. Badly this time. I've never smelled anything so foul and they were almost liquid.

Does it sound like he needs to go back on baytril? He was on it for almost two months straight. The minute he comes off it, his wee begins to smell terrible and he doesn't drink as much, no amount of greens helps with his hydration, in fact it might be another cause of his poopy bum.

Could a bun be on baytril every day for the remainder of his life without side effects or other problems? It seems like it's almost something he needs now. And I have to think of infections, which I'd like to prevent rather than not...but will being on constant antibiotics only exacerbate the problem?

He does so much better in all departments while taking this medication. With the exception of his ears that become so full of wax and yeast. I want him to have quality of life too. Is there nothing better I can do for him?

Sorry for the rant, I am just so frustrated. :( Don't know when his vet will be back in the office, weather is against us and I really need him seen...but I can't guarantee we can get him in. (OH could barely make it to the store and back today without almost getting in a number of accidents.)
My poor boy...he doesn't deserve any of this. :cry:

Poor Boy :cry:

I think I would want to avoid using longterm abx if at all possible. But sometimes doing so is the only option. It really depends on the specific condition.

With regards to his ears, have you tried ear canal washes with a warm sterile saline solution daily ? I have found that in some cases of chronic otitis this method is just as effective as using lots of different prescription medications. Obviously you would need to discuss this with your Vet. It could not be done in a Rabbit with perforated eardrums. But as your Vet has been prescribing ear drops I assume Mimzy's eardrums are intact.

It must be very stressful for you being in such a remote location and never knowing when or if you will be able to get to your Vet.

Back