• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lola had a dental. UD 17 vibes please emergency treatment

Kayaksteph

Mama Doe
Hi all.

Just needing to pick people's brains on the following meds for Lola.
Never heard of the meds and just seeing what info people can give me,
ie how does the dosage look?
What are the side effects?

Liquid Paraffin 1ml twice a day
Zantac Syrup 1ml 3 times day

Lola has been moulting a lot and not pooping a lot, so worried she is blocked a bit. We brush her everyday. She also has a gunky eye. I have to go get her drops tomorrow. So she is a bit under the weather.

Any tips on giving her the meds to as she hates syringes.

Thanks in advance for help.

Worried Steph(Lola's daft hoomin!)

Last edited:
I have heard of rabbits having these before but haven't given them myself. Try them on a bit of shredded wheat or in between a couple of leaves of basil/dandelion etc.

Personally I would not give Liquid Paraffin unless it was preceded by treatment with aggressive fluid therapy (IV/SQ and oral) LP can coat dehydrated impacted ingesta with oil preventing it from absorbing any water. It is really important that the ingesta is rehydrated to enable it to break down and move along the GI tract.

Zantac is an anti GI ulcer medication that has been found to have good prokinetic effects on the hind gut. So in Rabbits it is a useful part of the treatment of gut stasis.

Given that your Rabbit also has a gunky eye aswell as the gut motility problem I suspect dental issues are very likely to be involved.

Personally I would not give Liquid Paraffin unless it was preceded by treatment with aggressive fluid therapy (IV/SQ and oral) LP can coat dehydrated impacted ingesta with oil preventing it from absorbing any water. It is really important that the ingesta is rehydrated to enable it to break down and move along the GI tract.

Zantac is an anti GI ulcer medication that has been found to have good prokinetic effects on the hind gut. So in Rabbits it is a useful part of the treatment of gut stasis.

Given that your Rabbit also has a gunky eye aswell as the gut motility problem I suspect dental issues are very likely to be involved.

Thank you Jane. She did have a look at the teeth and a really good feel round the mouth and eyes area.
I really really hope it's not dental but I have never seen you being wrong before. She has started pooing more which is good. There are little strands of hair in it too. :( She is happier and binkying too.
I still have to go back to the vets today so will speak to them again.

If it is dental are there any other symptoms that I should be looking out for?

Thanks again.

Thank you Jane. She did have a look at the teeth and a really good feel round the mouth and eyes area.
I really really hope it's not dental but I have never seen you being wrong before. She has started pooing more which is good. There are little strands of hair in it too. :( She is happier and binkying too.
I still have to go back to the vets today so will speak to them again.

If it is dental are there any other symptoms that I should be looking out for?

Thanks again.

A change in the way she chews
Going off certain food types
Dropping food
Excessive licking of various surfaces
sneezing
drooling
seeming to be generally quieter than normal and/ or unusually grumpy

Sluggish guts and a gunky eye/eyes are very common signs of dental issues. Only about 70% of the mouth can be fully viewed whilst the Rabbit is awake and only skull radiographs can assess if tooth root elongation is involved. TRE is one cause of runny eyes.

That's really interesting Jane. Molly has been licking things a lot and she is very grumpy right now! No probs eating though...
:?
Dropping food
sneezing
drooling

Sluggish guts and a gunky eye/eyes are very common signs of dental issues. Only about 70% of the mouth can be fully viewed whilst the Rabbit is awake and only skull radiographs can assess if tooth root elongation is involved. TRE is one cause of runny eyes.

Instead of Liquid Paraffin, I would syringe cooled boiled water 3-4 (maybe more) times a day to help breakdown any impaction.

Hope Lola shows some improvement very soon.

did your vet not check her molar teeth while you where there?

ive heard of zantac being prescribed, and have used it in past on my bunnies, they are easy to medicate though by syringe, havn't heard of the other med being prescribed you mentioned

Dropping food
sneezing
drooling

Only thing she is doing is grooming us a bit more. I have to phone Friday and speak to vet about putting her in to getting a teeth check under GA.

Thanks again for your help always great detail in your info.

Instead of Liquid Paraffin, I would syringe cooled boiled water 3-4 (maybe more) times a day to help breakdown any impaction.

Hope Lola shows some improvement very soon.

Thank you. She is feeling a bit meh because we have traveled to my parents house but she is exploring.

did your vet not check her molar teeth while you where there?

ive heard of zantac being prescribed, and have used it in past on my bunnies, they are easy to medicate though by syringe, havn't heard of the other med being prescribed you mentioned

She got a small look but Lola was trying to chew the bit in her mouth so she suggested a GA to check properly. So I will get that done ASAP.

Lola hate getting syringe fed. She just goes mental at it so have to be sneaky.

Lola is a lot happier but still not right so i have booked her in to get a dental check. If its not that then i am clueless to what wrong with her. :(

Thanks again for all help. :love:

Just picked Lola up from the vets. She need treatment on her teeth and one removed. Feel like a bad mum to her. Feel like I have failed her. :cry:

Aww you're not a bad mum! You're a wonderful and caring bunny mummy.

Lola is home now, give her lots of hugs :love:

Hope everything is ok now x

Away to take her back to the vets. Her eye has closed up and it's weeping badly. Feel so bad mum to be. Feel like I have let her down. :cry:

Back