• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

outdoor bun and this weather?

LauraLou1982

Warren Scout
god its howling a gale out there and I got an outdoor bun! Shes on her own too, in a big cage thats outdoors...its normally covered with tarp but its blown off twice in past half hour and i cant weigh it down anymore! lots of hay in her bedroom but am worried! what would you all do?

god its howling a gale out there and I got an outdoor bun! Shes on her own too, in a big cage thats outdoors...its normally covered with tarp but its blown off twice in past half hour and i cant weigh it down anymore! lots of hay in her bedroom but am worried! what would you all do?

I'd bring her indoors.

I would definitely bring her in, ideally to a cold / cool room as buns do not cope with drastic changes in temperature well.

My six outdoor bunnies are indoors (having a marvellous time and causing great chaos). Knowing my bunnies and how they are not bothered by being inside, I would never have attempted to leave them outside. But different bunnies have different needs.

As someone who has no means to bring the bunnies inside I've done what I can and it's held up well the past few very stormy sessions we've had! Although I am nearly slap bang in the middle of the country so while the weather is awful, it can't be as bad as anyone who lives further afield!

The pair have a shed and I've shut them in there. But my single has her hutch wrapped up that climbing cord stuff you can get in places like asda and the bottom is weighed down with bricks. Then the hutch and run are covered by a tarp that is weighed down on the roof, pegged down the back by tent pegs and pulled tight at the front with toggles. The wind hasn't touched it!

This is an old picture, but you can see on the hutch and run where it is covered up. Just imagine a few more bricks on the roof, a rope wrapped around the hutch and the tarp pulled down lower.

hmmmm. Dont really have a cool room to put her! Or anything to keep her in really either! Only got a travel basket and her outdoor hutch?

I wanted to bring all mine in, except the ones in the sheds, but can't bring 60 bunnies in. :lol:

I was tempted to bring The Boys in, but to be honest they don't seem to mind the howling wind and torrential rain so long as they have their hay stuffed hidey holes. I've made sure everything is thoroughly secured, the tarps have extra weights and clips to hold them in place, and there is tonnes of hay for them to snuggle in.

I'd rather they were indoors, but last time they came in it wasn't such a temperature change, and when they're in they can only have limited space, and they prefer being in their own set ups.

I wanted to bring all mine in, except the ones in the sheds, but can't bring 60 bunnies in. :lol:

That tickled me :lol:

My bunnies have been out all the time, except that REALLY bad Thursday the other week. My hutches have slabs/bricks/metal toolbox to hold the tarps on at the top, then to hold the bottom of it down I have those small bungees under each leg. They aren't going anywhere now!

I've done the best I can tonight - am gonna have to get out there in daylight tomorrow! Bungees - now there's an idea , thanks!

Back