• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding, grooming has stopped

GrunBunMum

Warren Scout
First week bonding they were in a different room for 2 hours a day and penned next to each other at other times. When together they seemed ok, no fighting or fur pulling and Elsie groomed Walter for quite some time each night. Walter tried to groom Elsie but ended up humping her after a few minutes, which she just hopped away from him. We Decided after a week to let them both loose in Walters room. This is since Friday night. They were fine both in litter tray no fighting. Elsie does still seem scared of us and her surroundings (she's been in a sanctuary all her life, 1 & Half year) I've not seen them groom since putting them together 24/7. Walter goes up to her but she just hops off, this usually ends with Walter hopping after her and she then hides in a box and they have a bit of a chase, then Walter just gives up. They are grooming themselves and are eating together but no grooming or sitting next to each other. They do flop quite near each other though. Have we left them to it too soon? or is it a case of just settling in together?

I don't know the exact answer except to say I have 3 bonded pairs indoors, two pairs have been together for a few years but I never see any of them grooming their partner. Perhaps they do it when I'm not around I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it, as long as there is no aggression between them.

I dont know the exact answer but it sounds pretty good to me. They sound like they just need a bit of time. Mine do all groom each other, but it has taken the quad a few weeks to get the the groomy stage. Good luck.

Back