• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny decision

Schez

Mama Doe
I have come to a conclusion about future rabbit ownership after venturing outside in this outrageous weather... :(

I will not have bunnies unless they can be indoors with me or, I can have a shed/aviary set up.

Its gusty and wet out there, and when I say gusty, I mean I don't know if the fence partitioning me and my neighbour will hold out, the kids sand pit/Wendy house has been blown over and their wheel toys are everywhere. The bunnies hutch/run combos are standing. Stanleigh and Daisy are snuggled together, as are Honey and Smudge but there is something wrong with Harry and Pippa.... Pippa seems fine, she's wedged herself in a hay filled tunnel, Harry is just sitting there. In the gusts and slanting rain. :( I know I'm gonna sound like an over anxious bunny mummeh, but I'm going to check on him again in 10 minutes. If he hasn't moved/looks un-Harry like, I'm gonna catch him to check him over. He hates it but it's tough carrots.

My husband is out, but I've text him and so when he returns I will call vet. My hubby won't like it, but if I have to find room in this squishy house for Harry to come in - I will.

Oh no, :(, maybe the wind is just scaring him, it's pretty mad here so can't imagine what it's like down south.

Even Lola has been stamping her feet. A carrier bag blew into the back window and she tried to commit off the worktop :roll: I sort of caught her mid jump lol, was quite matrix-y :lol:

On a serious note, I hope Harry I'd pooh when you go out to check him and that him and pippa are snuggling xxx

Oh dear, can't edit that post as I'm on my phone but it was suppose to read 'i hope Harry is ok' :roll::lol:

:lol: silly phones.. They don't half get it wrong! ;)

If I'm honest I'm just trying to keep myself calm and level headed and not trying to over react but it's in the gut feeling if that makes sense?

Oh Lola, yous a stunt bunneh too? Very talented... :thumb:;):lol:

I think some buns are a bit dippy and sit
out in the rain instead of using their noddle and snuggling in a hay filled warm hutch :roll:

Try to keep calm, I'm sure all will be fine once the wind dies down a little. Do you have any noms to tempt them into the warm?

He might just be being wierd. I remember when it rained ridiculously hard in the summer Levi literally just sat there getting soaking wet all day. Strange bun.

It's been horrible all day so far here, Charley is in a hutch/run and she stays in the hutch most of the day. Come night time though and she will sit in the run while the gale is blowing and the rain is hammering down! She's covered up but she's very odd as Donny and Lola have always stayed in the shed.

Thanks guys, I know I'm prob making mountains out of mole hills but still.... My little lions, Honey and Smudge usually sit out in it. :shock: *shakes head* daft buns... But Harry looks... Oh I dunno. It's prob just me. :oops: it's a bit difficult, as I'm on my own with the kids, hubby is out panic buying. :lol: I'm trying the settle the children with an activity so I can go out there without them demanding to go out with me. It's horrible weather for kiddies too. :(

One of ours goes into stasis everytime the weather gets stormy. Its happened three times in the past couple of months. I am praying he will be ok today.

I hope your bunny is ok x

Sending 'get out of the rain' vibes for Harry!

Seriously though, I hope he is ok and is just being a silly bunny. x

Mine used to LOVE the bad weather.
When it was sunny they would be inside the hutch but as soon as the wind/rain/hail/snow came they would be out in the run all day and night :roll:
Bunnies don't have a clue!

Hope Harry is OK, typical how it happens in the worst of weathers :roll:

I'm also feeling bad as my two are outside, and the worst bit is they're separated :( they were bonded but they fell out and now won't rebond, so I now have three single rabbits (although Dee is indoors as she's got pneumonia!) which I hate :( I'll try and re-bond in nicer weather but they're single for winter, which isn't very nice for me! Thankfully they both seem 'OK' and don't seem too lonely, they can still interact through bars etc. So windy out :(

I must confess though that Smudge only became unwell the day after the hugh gale force winds up here.. He is slowly on the mend now but we have gale force winds forecast for tonight so i am anxious again for him as I dont want him unwell..

I think despite our best efforts to keep them cosy and watertight. it doesnt always work.

I can say with great certainty that as much as i love my bunnies, I will not be getting more bunnies should anything happen to my darling two.

Fee x

Thank you xx

I just wanted to say thank you to those for taking the time to reply... I think I was being over anxious. :oops: I've made regular checks on Harry and he seems to have perked up a little since the weather has died down. It frightened me the first time I saw him as he didn't look right but I managed to check him over - albeit a bit of soggy bun he seems ok. I dried him off and gave him cuddles (whilst also telling him he's not to scare mummeh and that he's a a silly bunneh :roll:) he also had dandelion leaves which he seemed to very much enjoy. ;)
I'm wondering about the bond between him and Pippa, but that's for me to observe over the next few weeks.

I think overall, it's made me think more about being a bunny owner. It just doesn't feel good enough. :( my bunnies have warm, covered hutches and all have attached runs. I spend as much time, effort and funds on my bunnies but still, I just don't feel I'm reaching the best that they could have. There have been points where I've thought, that's it for bunnies after this... But I also can't imagine a life without a bunny or two. My fluffy bunny tribe mean the world to me, but I feel that any future buns that come into our lives, will have to be house bunnies. I feel much more in control of their care and well being.

A bit blurry, but this is Harry :love:

To all the bunnehs who are outside, get in the warm you silly things! :lol: And I know there are some poorly buns at the moment so sending lots of get well vibes to you. :love:

Keep safe everyone, :wave: it's set to get worse before it gets better. Xx

Glad you are feeling a bit better about Harry. He is very handsome! :wave:

I think there are pros and cons to both sides of the house or garden bunny question. Outside is a much more natural life for them, and has fewer risks of the sort of illicit eating (carpet, pencils, books, wallpaper etc...)that my Spenser sometimes indulges in since taking up residence indoors. On the other hand, you can spend more time with indoor buns, and it is easy to moinitor their health and general well-being. I don't think one is right and the other wrong, as long as the basic needs of the rabbit(s) are met.

Glad you are feeling a bit better about Harry. He is very handsome! :wave:

I think there are pros and cons to both sides of the house or garden bunny question. Outside is a much more natural life for them, and has fewer risks of the sort of illicit eating (carpet, pencils, books, wallpaper etc...)that my Spenser sometimes indulges in since taking up residence indoors. On the other hand, you can spend more time with indoor buns, and it is easy to moinitor their health and general well-being. I don't think one is right and the other wrong, as long as the basic needs of the rabbit(s) are met.

I think you are right, there is a debate on which is best - it's also comes down to where a bunny is happiest. It's just I feel so guilty when it's like this... If I could start again with the information I have now, it would be a shed aviary set up for the outside residents. ;) One on which I can put panels up when it's howling out there... When we finally move out of here, new place will also need a garage incase bunnies need to be moved from outside into safety.

Ps. Thank you - Harry bun is rather handsome, it truly was love when I saw him for rehome. :love: although, Harry isn't as pristine as the gorgeous Spenser... Spenser's expressions get me every time... :lol: :love:

I have six outdoor rabbits. The quad are in shed/aivery set up and Mottle and Peaches have a hutch within an aivery run. Peaches was sitting outside in the run today with the wind blowing her fur and her ears were flat against her head! I wish that they could all be indoors. but we have two dogs and not enough rooms ...

Harry is rather lovely, like a short haired Tessie (who looks like a little yeti atm).

I have six outdoor rabbits. The quad are in shed/aivery set up and Mottle and Peaches have a hutch within an aivery run. Peaches was sitting outside in the run today with the wind blowing her fur and her ears were flat against her head! I wish that they could all be indoors. but we have two dogs and not enough rooms ...

Harry is rather lovely, like a short haired Tessie (who looks like a little yeti atm).

:lol::lol::lol:

Awwwwwwwwwwww! :love::love::love:

I think we all have things we wish for our bunnies, but we do our best. :thumb:

This year my hubby asked me what I wanted for Xmas, and I replied a shed and aviary set up please... :lol: he came home a couple of days a go and said he had a surprise for me - an early Xmas pressie... :shock: turns out he had got and player for my car and he was so excited about the model he had chosen... It does all sorts and has functions that I'll prob not use (too much technology for this dur brain :oops::lol:) bless him, I couldn't say I would have rather had the money for my bunny fund... :oops:

:lol::lol::lol:

On the plus side, the CD player is pretty snazzy... Better than the car itself... :lol:

Back