• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bugsy the Assistance Dog Pup Update

Alibunmum

Wise Old Thumper
Firstly, Merry Christmas from him and me!!

IMG_1827.JPG

For a 13 week old puppy I cannot believe how wonderful he is. An important part of his job will be knowing how to 'switch off' when he isn't needed so it's something he is praised heavily for. When he lies on his mat he is heavily rewarded with treats and kibble. Now I just need to put the mat on the floor and he goes straight to it and lies down, for example, this was during the church nativity yesterday.

IMG_1832.JPG

I am constantly looking for things that will take him a while to chew. I bought these for when he is bigger but thought I'd see what he makes of it now. It's a bit big but it kept him occupied!

IMG_1766.JPG

IMG_1747.JPG

My daughter's booster was in the house and he thought it made a great bed!

IMG_1722.JPG

IMG_1723.JPG

Showing off his retrieving skills which we praise heavily because it will be a huge part of his work. He will now do 'give' with or without a treat which is fantastic when he has things he shouldn't have!!

IMG_1742.JPG

Pippin still has control over him even though he can now fit under Bugsy's tummy without bending down!

IMG_1728.JPG

He is absolutely adorable. You are doing such a brilliant job that will provide a disabled person with a wonderful canine assistant and companion. I know I could never do it, thank goodness there are people like you who can.

Merry Christmas to all of you :love:

Thanks everyone, glad you like the photos!

He is absolutely adorable. You are doing such a brilliant job that will provide a disabled person with a wonderful canine assistant and companion. I know I could never do it, thank goodness there are people like you who can.

Merry Christmas to all of you :love:

It is going to be hellish when it's time to hand him back but, a story I found yesterday reminded me why I want to do this. A lady in a wheelchair was terrified of leaving home because she had to pass a playing field where youths played football. As she passed they'd throw and kick balls at her. Once she had her canine partners dog, the very same kids would come and talk to her and her dog, actually watching for her coming so they chat. Incredible! Whatever pain we go through will be so worth it to allow someone freedom.

Awwww, he's a real little star! Will you still have contact with him when he's been placed?

Also, something I was wondering about, will he 'work' for the rest of his life or do they retire?

Aww...:love:.. he is such a handsome chap..

Have a lovely Christmas Ali to you and yours....

Look forward to seeing him grow up in 2014!!

Fee xx

Awwww, he's a real little star! Will you still have contact with him when he's been placed?

Also, something I was wondering about, will he 'work' for the rest of his life or do they retire?

The partners sometimes keep in touch with the puppy parents and we will hear through the trainers. They retire if health causes problems or around 10 years old. It depends on the dog. If the person has someone in the home who can look after the retired dog then they can stay in their home otherwise there are always people ready to take them on because they are very well trained.

Aww...:love:.. he is such a handsome chap..

Have a lovely Christmas Ali to you and yours....

Look forward to seeing him grow up in 2014!!

Fee xx

Thank you. I promise I will be in touch about boarding. If I can't i will arrange boarding for yours with mine. Ali xx

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Goodness...growing by leaps and bounds, that one! :shock: How old is he?
We've got that big paw pillow. It's at the foot of my bed for the cats and they still get up to sleep on mine. :( I have to buy lots of lint rollers. :roll:

Ali, you are a marvelous human being. I doubt I could let such a sweet pup go despite the cause. I wish Ebon were that well mannered!

Here when a person no longer needs their service dog for whatever reason it must return to the charity. They are very strict. How will the children handle it?

I bet Pippin will 'miss' his 'big little brother'...then again he'll probably be glad to be back in the spotlight, eh? ;)

Jenna would be all kinds of happy if she didn't have to share me with Ebon. :?

Bless you for helping Bugsy to be such an important part of someone's life. It takes rare and special stuff to do what you do. :love:

Back