• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Would you use recovery food that's past the "Best before"?

steph182

Wise Old Thumper
It's not for a rabbit in stasis, just as an extra for an elderly guinea pig.

Friend asked if I had any laying around, and I do, but the best before is 15/06/2013.

If it was something for me I'd probably still use it but I'm not quite as willing to risk anything with animals :lol:

I would. It's a 'best before' date, not a 'use by' date. That means to enjoy the product at its optimum then use it before a certain date. Thereafter, the vitamin content and quality of the product will start to decline, but it's not going to do you (or the animals) any harm. We throw away FAR too much food these days IMO. People didn't drop like flies before best before dates were introduced.

I would use it too Steph. It's a best before not a use by and in all likelihood is better than nothing so on balance, yes.

Thanks, I figured it would probably be okay because I didnt think there was anything to go off as such, just wanted other opinions :D

Yes - no problem whatsoever and this is direct from the manufacturer's rep.

It's a dry powder and isn't going to deteriorate. The vitamin content can fall but that's about all and it won't do any harm. BBE dates are merely a recommendation and beyond these dates, products don't become harmful unlike 'use by' dates on perishables and potentially some medications.

Back