• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

URGENT HELP NEEDED rabbit haqs drinking problems!!!

recently our 2 albino lionhead rabbits have tried to drink but not seemed to have been getting anything.

we would squeeze the bottle and they would sit for ages drinking and drinking.

we would be VERY VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANSWERS AND HELP.:thumb:

Use a bowl :) or a heavy ceramic dog bowl if they chuck things about, it's more natural for rabbits to drink from too :) They won't seem to drink as much from a bowl but they will get a lot more than if they were drinking from a bottle.

Yep my rabbits have dog bowls (my giant bun has one suitable for a Great Dane since she wouldn't stop spilling anything smaller :roll:)

They are easier to keep clean too!

recently our 2 albino lionhead rabbits have tried to drink but not seemed to have been getting anything.

we would squeeze the bottle and they would sit for ages drinking and drinking.

we would be VERY VERY GRATEFUL FOR ANSWERS AND HELP.:thumb:

As others have suggested, use a bowl instead. You could also obtain a new bottle as sometimes the sipper nozzle gets blocked, especially in hard water areas. Limescale build up prevents the ball in the sipper nozzle from rotating so when the Rabbit licks it it does not move and no water comes out.

It just sounds to me as if the bottle is broken somehow and isn't letting the water out, so the easiest solution would be to just buy another bottle and/or add a bowl, as others have suggested. If you do stick with a bottle, it's important to check regularly that it is working properly as you have discovered!

My rabbits much prefer to drink from a bowl than a bottle, I gave them both for a short while and the bottle was never touched. I think its easier and more natural for them.

Anoter 'bowl' vote here! I found that rabbits could never get enough water from a bottle and, even when replaced regularly, I found them unreliable. Rabbits love a good slurp and it is much easier to change water in bowl once or twice a day than it is a bottle.

no worries! they don't have problems now as we have started changing the water every day.
more costly yes but they are fine now :D:D
thanks for the help:thumb:

I used to have a couple of water bottles for my rabbit and she would drink and drink but then I put a bowl of water in and she was happier. She could get more from the bowl then a water bottle. She almost seemed impatient and wanted more then it would allow xx

I use both. Mainly, Hector uses the bowl but he does often tip it over so the bottle is always there for back up :roll:

no worries! they don't have problems now as we have started changing the water every day.
more costly yes but they are fine now :D:D
thanks for the help:thumb:

I'm not sure I understand - why is changing the water every day more costly? Are you on a water meter? I would imagine you'd be spending a few pence a week if that.

TBH I think the water should be changed regularly anyway...

I'm not sure I understand - why is changing the water every day more costly? Are you on a water meter? I would imagine you'd be spending a few pence a week if that.

TBH I think the water should be changed regularly anyway...

Think they are maybe somewhere where you need to buy the water.....just guessing.

Back