• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Survey for fact findimg- part of my treatment UPDATE PLEASE SEE POST 32

rachylou

Warren Veteran
My therapist wants me to get other rabbit owners opinions so please can you take the tkme to answer the questions below, thank you!

1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that Special precautions for use
Vaccinate only healthy rabbits.*
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.*
What is your take on this?

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly elevated than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live?

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits?

5. Would you avoid any area that has had VHD?

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres?

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are?

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it?

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry?

10. What measures DO you take to prevent your bunnies getting VHD?

Ok thats done for now, I will check my sheet later and add any I have not asked.

Thank you!

Last edited:
1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that
"any rabbit previously vaccinated with the Nobivac myxo single vaccine may not develope full immunitey to VHD when vaccinating with the combined vaccine"

Can you provide a link to this quote, as that's not what it says on the data sheet I can see on their website or on NOAH. The one I've found says 'rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine...' and that is an entirely different thing to what you're stating, so I'd like to clarify first :)

My therapist wants me to get other rabbit owners opinions so please can you take the tkme to answer the questions below, thank you!

1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that
"any rabbit previously vaccinated with the Nobivac myxo single vaccine may not develope full immunitey to VHD when vaccinating with the combined vaccine"

This topic has been debated to my satisfaction, I no longer worry about it but I can't actually remember the details of it... i just trust the opinions that were given.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?

Not sure if it does increase any risk but from my understanding of immunity he would already have established immunity before the stasis episode so it's only anything new that the potentially weakened immune system would be vulnerable to so I wouldn't be worried about VHD.

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live?

Yes.

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits?

Sometimes. Not routinely. If for example I've had to de-ice my car before driving home I'm very aware to wash my hands before touching the bunnies. I don't fear VHD more chemically things that might harm them.

I would assume there was a potential anywhere but I trust the vaccine so no wouldn't avoid anywhere.

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres?

I would be horrified at what was on my car but VHD wouldn't even enter my head.

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are?

Yes.

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it?

I never put my bag on the floor as I'm a bit OCD myself but that's about if anyone has walked through vomit or poo etc!

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry?

I make it a mission to get rid of it. I'm more worried about bluebottles/flystrike than mozzies though.

Vaccination.

I've got to write something here as it doesn't think I've replied otherwise :roll:

Once they are vaccinated I don't think about it.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised?
I'd say no for this one but I'm no expert

Yes

No

I wouldn't know if an area had vhd

No

Yes

Yes

I'll leave it

Vaccination injection

Can you provide a link to this quote, as that's not what it says on the data sheet I can see on their website or on NOAH. The one I've found says 'rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine...' and that is an entirely different thing to what you're stating, so I'd like to clarify first :)

That is the quote I am talking about, justworded differently, but still states the same thing.
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

I think this is a good idea, good on your therapist for collecting facts to help!

Anyway...

I don't worry about it, and I'd imagine after being vaccinated more than once with the combined vac that it wouldn't matter anymore anyway.

Wouldn't worry about this either, they develop the immunity when they get the vac so as long as he could still be vaccinated around the time he was due I wouldn't expect it to make a difference. Mine have been in stasis a few times and it's not something I've thought about.

Sometimes. My rabbits are upstairs and I take my shoes off downstairs generally. Not because of the rabbits but because I don't like wearing them or socks in the house :lol: OH wears shoes around them though.

Only if I've been at dog agility, and then that's only because Milly doesn't like the smell of dogs.

I don't even keep track of which areas have VHD, they're vaccinated so I don't worry.

Nope, wouldn't think of it.

Yes, I bring my bags straight in to my bedroom and put them on my bed which is next to the rabbits pen.

I never wash handbags :oops: It's always next to the rabbit cage as well. I don't see a risk.

I like to put them out but they annoy me. I don't worry exactly but I would rather they weren't there.

They're vaccinated!

That is the quote I am talking about, justworded differently, but still states the same thing.
http://www.msd-animal-health.co.uk/products_public/nobivac-myxo-rhd/090_product_datasheet.aspx

Thanks very much - although I think it is actually saying something entirely different and is not the same thing at all! This discussion was had when the vaccine first came out, and the advice was that this did not apply in the uk because the nobivac-myxo was not actually made from myxo, but from shope fibroma which gives cross-immunity, so actually uk vaccinated bunnies have not previously had a myxomatosis vaccine and this warning does not apply. Whereas on continental Europe, the vaccine was made from myxo and therefore the warning applies. I also seem to recall that the advice only related to bunnies who had not previously had a VHD vaccination at all, and that even when the warning applies, all that was needed was a single booster of the normal VHD vaccine first time round and then it would be fine after that. So in summary, it doesn't bother me at all because I am confident my rabbits get full protection from the combi vaccine.

I vaccinate mine with the combined vaccine. I've not heard of the above before but there's not much I can do about it really so not worth worrying about. It says MAY not, so it's not a definite. Mine are indoors so I don't see the risk of them getting VHD as high anyway. Also, isn't the combined better against myxo than the single? I'd swap higher protection against myxo with a small possibility of a slight reduction in protection against VHD

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compromised?

No it would not

I don't wear shoes in the house in general just because I just never have, but sometimes I do walk through the house with shoes on and I don't give it a second thought.

Nope, I run straight to the rabbits and pick them up for cuddles or get on the floor with them for nose rubs (I suppose sometimes I go see how OH is first before greeting the rabbits, on rare occasions :p)

No I don't, although if there were big news reports about massive outbreaks or something I might do, although it wouldn't stop me going there if there was something I real needed to do. In that case I would wash my hands and change my clothes before touching the rabbits. Although only if it was a large outbreak and I'd been in the area in the country side or something

No, it's unlikely to have died from VHD. The drive after running over it would likely remove any remnants of the animal or virus anyway. Also it would have no way of getting from tyre to the bunnies, so no need to worry in my opinion.

Yes

Yes

I would regardless of whether I had bunnies or not because I wouldn't want to get bitten!

They are vaccinated every year. If I were to hold other bunnies I would wash my hands before holding mine. That's about it! I don't see VHD as a big risk to my rabbits, especially with them being indoors, so I don't worry about it.

1. In regards to the combined Nobivac RHD vaccine, the part of the data sheet states that Special precautions for use
Rabbits that have been vaccinated previously with another myxomatosis vaccine, or that have experienced natural myxomatosis infection in the field, may not develop a proper immune response against rabbit haemorrhagic disease following vaccination.*

I had a conversation about this with my vet and it's something to do with it not applying to us because it's to do with the European Myxo vaccine- but either way, it doesn't bother me and some of mine are unvaccinated anyway (due to health). I just do the best I can and know that I've done all I can.

2. Jimby had bloods taken when he had the last bout of stasis and they came back with the result that his liver count/function was slightly lower than it should be, the vet put it down to the stasis and didnt think it was enough to worry about. would this alter his immune system and make it compramised? I don't think we can answer that because the vet has seen the results and suchlike- but it's not something I would worry about- if it caused a problem I would cross that bridge if and when it arose- it may even be that those levels are normal for Jimby and you just didn't know before, but also, sometimes these things can sort themselves

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live? Yes- the only time I worry is if I have an animal in quarantine (or have been working with an animal in quarantine), although, that said, I did worry the other day when a window smashed and I had to clear it up, I worried that I walked glass in so I just did a thorough clean of the underside of my wellies and didn't worry anymore.

4. Do you wash your hands when you arrive home after being out before you touch your rabbits? I do when I've been to school but that's because of me and all the germs, rather than the rabbits- it's more that I wash my hands as soon as I get home, rather than washing my hands before I see the bunnies.

5. Would you avoid any area that has had VHD? No- even with unvaccinated rabbits- you can't ever really know what areas have and what areas don't have VHD so I make a presumption that all areas DO have VHD and it's just not reported. I actually don't think about it at all- the only time I thought about it was when an idiot vet told me I had it on my premises (which I didn't)- then I did thorough cleaning and all sorts- I also consider it if I lose a rabbit unexpectedly, like with Sandy in the summer.

6. If you drove over a dead animal (bunny, fox, etc...) Would you panic that you have VHD on your tyres? Nope- living in the country I sadly have driven over a lot of bunnies- even once hit one. This thought had never occured to me- the corpse does not transmit VHD. With the bunnies I ran over I even stopped my car and went to check it was dead and then moved it out of the road.

7. When you have been shopping and you have bags of shopping do you still bring the bags in to your house where the bunnies are? Absolutely- there's no reason not to, plus, if I have them in the direct area with bunnies then they find them very interesting, so it gives a bit of different stimulation for them.

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it? Yes-, again, I wouldn't even consider it. I have many other more important things to be worrying about than my handbay- the only time I might clean it was if I stupidly put it down on something dirty.

9. If you see a mozi or other bitting insect in the house do you make it your mission to get rid of it or do you not worry? I tend to get rid of them, but mainly because they are annoying, not because of the risk to my bunnies.

10. What measures DO you take to prevent your bunnies getting VHD? I keep them clean, I vaccinate those that can be safely vaccinated and that's it. Nothing else that can be done because, as it is an unseen, there is no way to 100% eradicate the risk so it's about just doing the best you can. There are many things around that pose MORE of a risk to bunnies than VHD- even things inside a bunny things like dental issues/abscesses. Having had so many bunnies over the years, I've never, to my knowledge, lost one to VHD, even when unvaccinated- they've all died due to other things- the most common seems to be cancer, most recently.

As they are vaccinated I would know that I'd done my best for them

If the vet wasn't worried then I wouldn't worry

Mine are outdoor bunnies

No

No

No

Yes

Yes

I wouldn't worry

Vaccination

Ok thats done for now, I will check my sheet later and add any I have not asked.

Thank you!

Sending hugs xx

Basically this doesn't apply in the UK. In europe they used to use a different vaccine based on actual myxi (only gave 4 months protection) which would effect this new combo jab. But we never used it in the UK. If you rabbit previously had myxi and survived there could be an issue too, but that doesn't apply to your bunnies.

As long as he didn't have stasis at the same time he was given the vaccination it's not a problem.

Yup, Scamp loves giving outdoor shoes/ankles a good sniff to see where you've been! He shows a definite preference for if you've been walking through grass/fields over a trip in town.

I might if I'd physically handled rabbits at a pet shop i.e. actually touched them, not just been in a pet shop, but not otherwise.

Nope.

Nope, the odds of catching a wild bunny that are tiny are too small to calculate and even if they did it doesn't matter because the vaccinations are up to date.

See shoes. Sniffing shopping bags is part of the fun!

Nope but only because Scamp would eat it, not because of any disease risk :lol:

Only if it's annoying me.

Only vaccination.

:)

1. I never heard of that before. What I did hear is that buns who've had myxi are immune. I think Pickles had a mild case of nodular myxi, but I still vaccinate him. I've been told the VHD vaccine is 100% effective.

2. Don't know, I'm not a vet. I could ask my sister tomorrow if you like? She is.

3. No, because I don't want mud trekking in all over my carpet! I've never understood why people wear shoes indoors. Having said that, in the old days G + P would come for playtimes in the kitchen, and I have worn my shoes in there as its tiled.

4. Usually yes. Only because if I've been walking the dog etc it's basic hygenic practice. If I've just driven down to the village shop or whatever I wouldn't bother.

5. I've never known of a VHD outbreak. Living in the country surrounded by wildies if there was one here I wouldn't be able to avoid it, but Pickles is vaccinated anyway.

6. No, not at all. Neither I nor my rabbit touch my tyres, or the ground they've been driven over.

7. Yes of course. It wouldn't help anyone to leave it in the garden, would it?

8. Yes.

9. No, I can't bring myself to kill anything. I wish I could though because they're very annoying and I don't want to get bitten! I do worry about Pickles sometimes in the summer as we have a lot of flies here and he has sticky poos sometimes, but I'm satisfied that I keep him clean.

10. Vaccination with...oh gosh, can't remember! NOT Cylap or lapinject either these days, it's the combined one.
!

Hope that helps! :)

Last edited:

I'd risk it personally especially if you can't still get hold of the older separate vaccines

I'm not a vet so I've no idea but if your vet is rabbit savvy personally I'd trust what he says

3. Those of you with house rabbits, do you wear your outdoor shoes in areas your rabbit live? Mine are outdoors

Nope never

Completely depends, if it was an area I didn't HAVE to go into then yeah I'd probably avoid it, if I really needed to go there then I would but I'd be extra careful to shower and change my clothes, maybe get someone else that didn't go to feed them for a day or two

No it wouldn't cross my mind

I don't have house rabbits but I regularly keep veg scraps in carrier bags before giving them to the rabbits

Yes

I'd probably try spray it with some raid but if it was a low-risk time of the year or there'd be no reports of myxi in my area then it probably wouldn't cross my mind that it could harm the rabbits

None, once they're vaccinated they're very well protected and there's little else you can do to try prevent them getting it

Thank you!

There we go

? I vaccinate with the combi vaccine because it what my vet recommends. My bunny who passed on (he was an old man) had both vaccination types and was just fine. I did what my vet says is best.

I wouldnt worry about this because i trust my vet. :)

No, but i live in rented accommodation so its more about the carpets than the bunnies.

Yes, but I wash my hands on arriving home because of my profession (i work with some people who are homeless and i feel its more about my own health and hygiene that that of my bunnies).

I dont know where has VHD so no.

No.

I always do this. Except after food shopping because the bunnies try to eat the food. :)

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies are without washing it? I always leave my handbag on the floor at home without washing it. :oops:

I dont really worry about this.

I vaccinate. :)

Personally I would not vaccinate a rabbit that was seriously ill, but I would vaccinate a snuffles bun that wasn't currently having a flare up as I would vaccinate any bun with a lifelong illness as long as they were not in a serious state at the time.

I vaccinate my buns and that is all I think about, if anything I think the new vaccine is better.

I'm no expert but I wouldn't worry, I would trust my vet.

Yes

Nope

I used to live in an area with VHD, no I wouldn't worry about it.

No

Yes, well until I got Farore, she likes to try to eat them :roll:

Yes

I don't worry, I try to get rid of it since mozzie bite suck but I don't worry.

I vaccinate.

Thank you!

both my snuffle bunnies were vaccinated. i took a very good vets advice and decided that some even if it was only some protection, then that was better than none. if one was having a bad flare up then they would wait and be vaccinated when stable again. made me very anxious but had no choice.

i don't think it would personally. alot of levels tested can be slighly altered during times of illness and stress. he could also have always had lower levels and you would never have know about it. also, if you trust your vet and are confident in them, then all you can do is trust them and work alongside them, as you know your pet best.

no, i don't. o/h would but i specifically ask him not to because it makes me feel worried. i don't like the though that he could have stepped in something. i don't worry about vhd specifically though.

i don't really go out but if i had been then yes, i do tend to wash my hands. also ask that o/h washes his aswell. he would happily take the rubbish outside and then stroke the pets! again, nothing to do with vhd would cross my mind though, only the things i personally worry about.

i wouldn't check beforehand if somewhere i was going had vhd so i wouldn't know about it. and it probably wouldn't stop me from going.

no, vhd wouldn't enter my head.

yes

yes. if my mum comes around, she often brings a bag of papers, and puts her handbag down aswell. this doesn't worry me, and the buns love attacking it!

this does really worry me yes. i can't relax until it is gone, more so for the flystrike risk than vhd though. again, vhd wouldn't be a main worry, or probably even enter my head very much.

i have them vaccinated and i just take general care, to make sure they are clean and tidy, and i do feel secure knowing that they have been vaccinated.

Thank you!

well done for confronting all your fears. i know it must be so hard and i think you're doing amazingly well. x

well done for confronting all your fears. i know it must be so hard and i think you're doing amazingly well. x

Thank you, I am feeling a bit disheartened though, at my review the team all agreed that I am not making progress and I will not be getting an extention.
That os so nasty to hear because I am trying so bloody hard amd I am out ofy comfort zone but when I hear things like that it makes me feel like ****.

Thank you, I am feeling a bit disheartened though, at my review the team all agreed that I am not making progress and I will not be getting an extention.
That os so nasty to hear because I am trying so bloody hard amd I am out ofy comfort zone but when I hear things like that it makes me feel like ****.

Have you discussed this in more depth with a Key Worker ?

In what ways do they feel you are not progressing ? If you dont know what more they expect then you cant be expected to try to do it. So I'd get some more feed back from the main person you speak with.

N/A Grimlock isn't healthy enough to be vaccinated so I've not looked into it.

No, he sounds healthy enough to me. :)

Yes, and he's not vaccinated at all.

No.

I don't even know what areas are affected, so no.

No.

Yes.

Yes.

I try a little bit to get rid of it.

None. Unfortunately Grim has chronic pasteurella/snuffles and is very I'll so I can't vaccinate him. I don't take any extra precautions.

Thank you!
My situation is a bit different from yours because Grim isn't vaccinated and hasn't been for about four or five years now as he's just too ill, but I though I'd answer anyway in case it's useful. :wave:

No I don't I vacume it out every day but I just step in bear footed.

No, I wash my hands after I have seen to them.

If I knew about it yes I would

No

Yes, and I store them for litter changes , tip the dirty areas of the try in to them

8. If you went out for a drink and you put your handbag on the floor would you then think it is safe to put your bag on the floor at home where the bunnies
are without washing it?

yes

Blue bottles, wasps, bees, I get rid off.

None, just vacs,

left the first few questions as I wasn't sure on the answer and wanted to answer honestly, Hope this helps

Thank you![/QUOTE]

Back