• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Emotional and Rambly: Would appreciate a little bit of input from the non-involved.

Parsnip

New Kit
This may be a bit rambly, but I'm a little emotional about this particular situation and just want the input of rabbit lovers who are perhaps not as caught up in the situation as I am. Obviously because I'm an employee I can't be too obvious with the companies involved, but I'm sure everyone knows anyway. If people could avoid using the store names though it would be appreciated, at least until I manage to find alternative employment...

I work for a veterinary practice that has been set up within a pet chain store. I'm already uncomfortable enough in this particular situation as I feel it clashes with my ethics, but I love the job and I enjoy being in the heart of something where I can at least let people know that what the staff are advising them as being appropriate care is not necessarily the best long term plan. This was all well and good, I frequently went downstairs to query the advice staff had been giving members of the public who came to the vets full of "knowledge", and while still uncomfortable I still loved working in the vets.

Then an elderly woman came in with her two rabbits. To cut a long story short the store manager convinced her, against my advice, to sign the rabbits over to their adoption charity. These are a bonded 7 year old pair who have been used to being the apple of their elderly ladies eye until she was diagnosed with terminal cancer, and for the last 6 months she'd been battling with her illness and trying to care for these rabbits. He promised her they'd be given adequate accommodation, found a loving home, and looked after by caring staff.

The staff hate the rabbits, and I feel they hate them purely because their training in rabbit welfare/behaviour is woefully inadequate and they don't understand that if you shove two large rabbits in a small, exposed space on a level where children, dogs and childish adults can torment them is going to result in two unhappy rabbits who are likely to show you an "aggressive" side of them. I've been informed that the pair have lunged and grunted at all the staff members (I, personally, did not witness that when they attempted to prove how "nasty" the rabbits where, but this is likely due to the fact I let them come to me rather than stick my hands in what little space they've been given) and now they essentially throw their food at them while referring to them as vicious. They're not vicious. These two rabbits have been used to being house rabbits, house rabbits who had the run of an entire bunny proofed house where their only stress occurred when their lady owner had chemotherapy. They're stressed out, they're reacting due to that stress, and I feel personally responsible for this happening.

I'm going to spare you all the coulda, woulda, shouldas, the simple fact is that I didn't do enough and now two rabbits are in what the chain store pitifully calls an 'adoption corner' among "stock" that has grown too large to be considered cute. When I'm manning reception during the day I can see these rabbits from where the surgery has been placed, I can see them being stressed out, and on more than one occasion I've perhaps been a little too bolshy and told customers to take their dogs away from that corner and snapped at staff about making sure they keep an eye on the welfare of the small furries. They've been there two weeks, and I feel like there's something gnawing in the pit of my stomach. They're stressed, the shop staff are going to shrug their shoulders and the store manager couldn't care less as the adoption corner does not contribute to the store sales, and I can see them being stuck in that small compartment in that situation until they can pass them off to anyone who'll have them.

But this is where I'm struggling.

I've compromised my ethics quite a bit by working within the store itself, even if we're not technically part of the store people still think we're just a fake vets within a pet shop. I already spend quite a bit of my time advising people against the stock sold downstairs and how it would be beneficial for them to explore rescues and rabbit welfare sites before buying little Timmy a fluffy, stressed out rabbit for Christmas. Part of me feels that if I actively adopt these rabbits, if I take them home, that's another step towards saying "this is not that bad really, it's not inappropriate at all, look at me, I happily adopted from their adoption corner". Obviously there's part of me who just wants to grab the keys, get bitten and scratched while I place them inside a carrier, and then run off into the distance with them. Part of me knows that, for these particular rabbits, it would be far better for them if I can get them out rather than hoping they'll be adopted by someone who appreciates them for the rabbits they are. But I don't know what to do. I know that whatever I do will ultimately be my decision, but I'd like a bit of input from other rabbit lovers.

Should I adopt them, or should I stick to coming down to remind staff of their duty of care towards these animals, regardless of how "nasty" they think they are? And on a purely selfish note: am I not just creating a rod for my own back in terms of staff pressure to take on "undesirable" animals so they can free up space for easier to shift "adoption" cases?

If I had to see the situation on a daily basis I would have to get the two Rabbits out. Yes, it just frees up space for the next poor unfortunates. But unless I could insure that the two Rabbits were moved to more appropriate accommodation I would be unable to look at the 'bigger picture' and would have to try to help the two specific Rabbits concerned. The very reason I never go into that Pet Shop now is because I know I would see Rabbits in need and I would find it heartbreaking to walk away. But you do not have the luxury of being able to stay away from the situation, so I fully understand how you feel.

I would also feel inclined to write to HO and express your concerns re the welfare of the in store Rabbits.

I say take them, as you say the store does not profit from the adoption corner. Yes it does free up space for 'old stock' BUT the old stock will be there anyway. If there wasn't the space in that store they would simply be shipped off to a different store or back to the breeders ect. By taking those two I don't see that you are adding to the rescue situation as you are not on the lookout for new buns, you just can't leave these 2.

You could give them a safe and loving environment for their last years. I can't see how that can be wrong!

Do you have space and funds for these two?

If so, if I were you, especially knowing the back story, I really couldn't walk away.

The poor things sound stressed and disorientated and need to be somewhere nice and secure. And you can give them that.

xx

Oh dear. What an awful position.

If you can, and only if you can in terms of space, time etc (as you obviously know) just take them. The elderly lady would be heartbroken if she knew. She trusted the "wrong" rescue. To me, that's what makes this a special case.

I would, however, make clear to the staff this can't be "the norm". If possible, I would try to raise a complaint to the regional manager or whoever you can but, at the end of the day, you cannot be responsible for their training etc and can only do your best.

It must be heart-breaking to see. :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I couldn't begin to imagine how you must be dealing/coping in your situation... :(

If you have the time/space/funds, take them in... If not, maybe someone here could help?xx

If I had to see the situation on a daily basis I would have to get the two Rabbits out. Yes, it just frees up space for the next poor unfortunates. But unless I could insure that the two Rabbits were moved to more appropriate accommodation I would be unable to look at the 'bigger picture' and would have to try to help the two specific Rabbits concerned. The very reason I never go into that Pet Shop now is because I know I would see Rabbits in need and I would find it heartbreaking to walk away. But you do not have the luxury of being able to stay away from the situation, so I fully understand how you feel.

I would also feel inclined to write to HO and express your concerns re the welfare of the in store Rabbits.

I agree with Jacks Jane

I did exactly what you are contemplating after just one day in a branch of 'that store'. I was supposedly there trying to teach the public about rabbit welfare but was constantly and totally sidelined and argued against by the store staff - I have never regretted rescuing the two buns I rescued (who were also due to be seperated despite being bonded all their lives).

PS hello Parsnip! I am 'parsnipbun!!" :wave::wave::wave:

I would take them (assuming I had enough space, etc for them) and look for another job. Yours sounds heart breaking. x

I'd take them if I were you. I'd also be creating merry hell when it came to reporting the behavior of staff. Do it in writing and keep copies of the letters.

Are you employed by the vets or the shop? If you are on Facebook join 'action for rabbits' Julia is working closely the the shop to try and improve welfare. She might be able to give you contact info and set the ball rolling.

I'm another one who would take them.

Nope, you can't help them all and yes it will free up more space, but you can help these two. sometimes life makes it impossible for us to stick by our morals 100%.

The poor previous owner, what a stressful situation to be in, makes me so angry that these pet shops would promise so much and deliver so little.

I'd also go and get them if you have the capacity to do so. They're genuine rescues and it sounds as if they need getting out; after such a loving life it seems really tragic how they've ended up.

I sympathise with your situation, I don't shop in the store and don't really like to be there, but I do use the vets, they're the best locally and having them open 7 days a week is an absolute godsend.

Do let us know how you get on.

Take them. What worries me, amongst other things, is if the Store decide to split them up! That would be unthinkable.

Hi this is my first real post on this forum. I personally would take them and contact this charity, The Cinnamon Trust. http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/
The National Charity for the elderly, the terminally ill and their pets. They may be able to reunite them with their former owner and provide after care. Hope this helps
Regards
Tony

Do you have space and funds for these two?

If so, if I were you, especially knowing the back story, I really couldn't walk away.

The poor things sound stressed and disorientated and need to be somewhere nice and secure. And you can give them that.

xx

^^ this!

I really empathise with your situation and the dilemma you feel.
If you take these lovely guys & give them the lovely retirement they deserve & the decent home their former owner envisaged, perhaps you could put together a teaching package/presentation about rabbit care for the shop staff & management?
It would have gravitas because the bunnies involved would be known 'aggressive' bunnies & the people involved would be able to appreciate the difference decent care & environment make.

You will be faced with this issue again & again unfortunately unless you fully engage with management in a constructive way.
There will be other buns who fill the spot that these two are in now & for the sake of all the rabbits that pass through & your own sanity you will have to find a way to affect change.
Maybe the RWAF could support your endeavors & there are people on this forum who do some great education re rabbit welfare so tap into the RU resource too.

I've also just read Tallens post re the Cinnamon Trust which could be the perfect thing for these particular buns & their poor owner.

I really hope you can find your way through this!
It's so important that passionate, informed, articulate people do try to change bad practice at the root rather than the sidelines and you obviously have the will to do that.
Good luck & please keep us updated.

:(
i don't spend any money there as i don't wish to support them.
i do however pop in occasionally to different branches and check the buns have enough hay and all the other animals are well and not visibly ill. The amount of complaints i have to make is shocking.

if you do choose to adopt them then you do have the option of not paying anything as an adoption fee. Its an optional thing, and going through the adoption centre means it does not create a demand as they do not go through the till as a 'sale'

ill be honest id have to take them home. But id be getting plenty of evidence against the staff and the way they treat the animals etc and be contacting head office.

id also be considering contacting something like watchdog, to let them know. They have already done an investigation so nah be interested in revisitjng.
whether you dis this anon or waited till you had another job would be your decision.
xxxxxx

^^ this!

I really empathise with your situation and the dilemma you feel.
If you take these lovely guys & give them the lovely retirement they deserve & the decent home their former owner envisaged, perhaps you could put together a teaching package/presentation about rabbit care for the shop staff & management?
It would have gravitas because the bunnies involved would be known 'aggressive' bunnies & the people involved would be able to appreciate the difference decent care & environment make.

You will be faced with this issue again & again unfortunately unless you fully engage with management in a constructive way.
There will be other buns who fill the spot that these two are in now & for the sake of all the rabbits that pass through & your own sanity you will have to find a way to affect change.
Maybe the RWAF could support your endeavors & there are people on this forum who do some great education re rabbit welfare so tap into the RU resource too.

I've also just read Tallens post re the Cinnamon Trust which could be the perfect thing for these particular buns & their poor owner.

I really hope you can find your way through this!
It's so important that passionate, informed, articulate people do try to change bad practice at the root rather than the sidelines and you obviously have the will to do that.
Good luck & please keep us updated.

I think this is a brilliant idea xx

Same as above really. At least if you take them on as even a short term fostering and try and find them a home yourself they'd be out of there. And you'd know that they have gone to a good home rather than thinking back and worrying

Back