• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Not sure what to do - lonely bunny

Temeraire

Young Bun
After nearly losing Cookie last Friday to gut stasis (cause unknown as yet) and him just about fully recovered now, I've been considering getting him a companion. When I got Cookie I was virtually housebound with ME - only going round the corner to my parents house for an hour or so a day most days. Since then my health has recovered, I have a new partner that I've been spending a lot of time with and I've been getting out and about a lot more - meaning Cookie is alone for longer. Although I always ensure that someone checks on him and feeds him if I'm away overnight and my partner will try and spend some hours with him wherever possible - I'm starting to feel really guilty leaving him so much, he's been so loving the past two days that he's been well again, really affectionate and it's clear he needs a companion other than his cuddly toys.

Is it possible to bond a 5 year old neutered house bunny with another rabbit?
The other issue is where to find a spayed doe.

I've been to my local RSPCA today (Derby) and they had four neutered males but said none of them would be suitable for an indoor male bunny - I don't think they really know what they are doing as she looked clueless at me when I talked about bunny dates and bonding. I don't have a garden myself (access to one but not my own) and I know a lot of rescues will flat out refuse to rehome without a garden - I also don't know of any other local rabbit rescues in the Derby/Nottingham area.

Any advice?

Yes you can bond at any age and I'm sure that any rabbit can live inside. :?

Thanks - yeah, I know full well any rabbit can live inside, unfortunately it's RSPCA in Derby I need to convince! My cookie was an outdoor stud bunny until I got him at 15 months and he took to living inside like a duck to water.

Back