• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Been given rabbit fur!

Schtoffen

Mama Doe
Soo...I just got my xmas gifts from work...owl lip gloss (yes!) a silver spoon with a hare on the end (YES!), rabbit socks (awesome!) and gloves...errr....trimmed with...well....you know what. :shock:

How would you guys have dealt with the situation?

I thanked them and said they were lovely. I don't think I'd buy rabbit fur myself because I wouldn't be able to be sure it was a by-product of meat rather than the reason the rabbit was killed (it looks like Wildie fur), but they've been bought now and they are lovely so I'm going to wear them.

Two ways of looking at it:

- Because you don't approve of where they come from pass them on to someone else or bin them.

- You neither bought nor chose them, so keep them and not let them be wasted.

I'd be tempted to give them to a charity shop...

So would i .... someone would make use of it... I couldn't, with any conscience, wear bunny fur, irrespective of whether it was bought for me as a gift or not... ( is it real or faux?)

Such a pity really as they probably meant well..

Fee x

I'm afraid I would have had to say something like 'its a lovely thought but unfortunately I don't wear fur so can't accept them' I couldn't wear them for sure.

In the persons defense, I'm not sure they knew it was rabbit fur, but I recognised it straight away. Hmmm interesting responses thanks guys. I don't know why, but I felt like I can wear them with a clear concsions (how the heck do you spell that word??!). Oh lord, I'm having a big old dilemma now! :?

If it makes you feel any better I have some fur trimmed leather gloves that were my Grandmas (so vintage) I would never buy something new made with fur, (unless I could prove they were a by product of the meat industry) but vintage items I do feel slightly differently. Whether i choose to wear those gloves or not they still exist, and they are by far the warmest gloves I have ever owned, it seems silly to refuse to wear them because that won't make any difference to the particular animal the fur came from. But having said that, it is not obvious that they have a fur lining, and I wouldn't want to shout about wearing fur because I think that that encourages the fur trade now, that I do not agree with. I think with these things, sometimes you have to look at it on a case by case basis. But that's just my opinion and I respect anyone who choses not to wear fur in any circumstance.

I would of thanked them either put them in the bin at home or give them to my mother how wouldn't care about the poor rabbits :roll:

shame as you can tell the person giving the gift ment well :cry:

Okay...had a chat. The person now knows they are fur and not to get me fur in the future.

Oh dear.... I can't chuck them away, it's a waste. And a tiny, very honest, part of me doesn't really want to. They feel like Teddy :( :oops:

Oh dear, I'm a rotten hypocrite!

If you throw them away then the animal died in vain.

I'd rather give them to charity or even take the fur out for birds to line their nests in spring.

Don't worry - you're not - at least you're thinking about it!

I have a pair of leather gloves trimmed with rabbit fur at home - given to me years ago by a very, very good friend...I don't wear them because they're fur - but neither could I bin them or give them away because of who gave them to me. I wasn't so anti-fur back then and she wasn't to know then, that I would turn so anti-fur later on in life.

One suggestion I would have - if it bothers you that much, maybe sell them on e-bay and donate the proceeds to a rabbit charity. At least then the gloves will get worn (I hate the thought of an animals life being wasted) - AND a bunny will benefit?

Might do that myself actually :roll:

It is stupid to say that but only you know what to do :)

I personally will probably be ok-as I'm not a vegetarian and I don't like when things go to waste. What's done is done, one can't change it and it's better to use what you already have. I mean I can suppose many of the people here will be ok to wear calf leather which is also an animal that has a soul, as we say here. It is just a predjudice that one leather/fur is ok and other-no.

But if you're in general vegetarian/you don't use animal products find a better use of the object&don't let it go to waste

Okay...had a chat. The person now knows they are fur and not to get me fur in the future.

Oh dear.... I can't chuck them away, it's a waste. And a tiny, very honest, part of me doesn't really want to. They feel like Teddy :( :oops:

Oh dear, I'm a rotten hypocrite!

I wouldn't throw them away if I were you, you've had a chat with the person and they were a present, not like you went out and bought them yourself or encouraged it. Wear them :thumb:

I wouldn't throw them away if I were you, you've had a chat with the person and they were a present, not like you went out and bought them yourself or encouraged it. Wear them :thumb:

To me that would be no different than buying fur myself. It's still endorsing an abhorrent (IMO) trade by advertising it.

Back