• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Do rabbits feel it if you cut thief whiskers off?

They may feel something but not 'pain' as such

Not sure why a Rabbit would need to have their whiskers cut off though :?

I don't think they will feel anything pain wise- however I believe they use their whiskers for feeling - so they shouldn't be trimmed without good reason? I know that's the case with cats & horses!

Whiskers are long thick hairs that grow out of nerve endings. They don't have nerves in the whisker itself, so wouldn't feel it. However, they act as a sensor, an extension of a rabbit's eyes and hearing etc, so if they're cut off it makes the animal a little bit "blind". Rabbits can't see directly in front of them (although they have a wider range of vision with their eyes being at the side of their head) and also have a lot less depth perception than animals with eyes on the front of their head, so they rely on their whiskers quite a lot.

So so, it won't hurt them, but it is cruel if done unnecessarily. :wave:

I trim my lionheads face to stop it getting matted and double checked with my vet. She said its perfectly fine if i caught a whisker or two in the scissors. Though i try to be careful not to, but sometimes you cant move them all out the way.

When Gasket burnt his whiskers he did seem to be quite distressed for a while afterwards, so he clearly felt something. Whether it was pain, or the smell of burning hair that distressed him I don't know. :?

My bridge bun Harry had permanently damaged whiskers. It never seemed to bother him. They always looked burnt (they weren't).

Hope everything goes well with Pippin xx

I don't think my rabbits even have whiskers, I mean I know they're supposed to but I'm sure I've not actually seen any whiskers on them for years :shock: Going to have to get them out and check and will probably end up looking like a right idiot :oops:

Back