• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Buying vetbed

Jenova

Wise Old Thumper
Those who have, where did you buy it from? It all seems very expensive.

I was thinking it would be great for Grim as he can't use a litter tray and just goes anywhere. His hocks are still a little sore so I think keeping the urine away from them is important but he's on towels right now and I don't think they're too good for this feet either. :? I want to line his crate at a minimum which is 3ft x 2ft, but ideally I'd like to cover all his space and have spare for when it's in the wash, but I'm not sure I can afford that. :(

You can buy it in big rolls on ebay, seems to work out cheaper that way.

You can also get it from the hay experts, they can cut it to size for you to order but no idea on prices.

Trouble is, if you get a big piece, Vetbed is quite thick so it's bulky to get into the machine in one piece. Several smaller pieces might work better.

The other alternative is fleece (eg cheap fleece throws), which works out way cheaper (what a lot of guinea pig owners use).

Can you get really thick fleece? I need it to pull the urine away from him because he goes everywhere. :(

Can you get really thick fleece? I need it to pull the urine away from him because he goes everywhere. :(

It's the thinner the better with fleece for wicking the urine - you just have to have something underneath to absorb it. Because the fleece is thin it then dries quickly.

I got vet bed from amazon and ebay. I think its great stuff. Really cosy. We have it as bedroom rugs!

Vetbed is certainly the best thing to use, I used this when Doughnut was wet the whole time, with fleece the urine used to just sit there.

It's cheap in Jolleys off the roll, about £7 for a bit about 2ft by 3ft. I cut it in two and Doughnut has it to lie on in her hutch. Thankfully she is dry now but I did end up buying two pieces, so could cut them into four and would be changing them every day. Now I change it about once a week and just put it in the machine on hot water, no detergent as she's scared of smells!

I got mine from Jolleys too when I used to use it for Poppy. I can't remember but I think it was cheaper there than on ebay (well I assume it was because I definitely bought from Jolleys).

It is well well worth the money, the wicking capabilities are amazing, to the point when I first got it I thought it wasn't wet as I couldn't feel any wetness but when I picked it up it was soaking (not nice but shows how good it is).

Could you just put it in his favourite spot? I knw Poppy would spend most of her time on the piece I got because it was very comfy.

I agree about using small bits rather than one large piece. It is really difficult to wash large pieces as they are so heavy when wet. Especially if you need to change it daily which it sounds like you will. All our vetbed is cut small as we wash it daily and we still get through a machine every 18 months!

Hello,

Like other people have been saying, you would probably find it easier to use a few smaller pieces than one large one.

If you need them cut to size, or want to test it out with some cheap clearance you can get a large selection of cheap vet bed here.

They have a selection of clearance vetbed and cut to size vetbed

Hope that helps

Back