• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bunny is losing so much fur, arghhh help!

Persie

Warren Scout
My little guy is 8 months old and I have never noticed him lose as much fur as he is right now, it's insane, the past couple of days we noticed he hasn't been eating as much as normal and seemed a little strange to which we soon worked out he must be digesting too much hair as his poo is small, dark and strung together. Yesterday and today I have groomed him as much as possible with brushes, hands, wet hands you name it. He is a lionhead so as you can imagine he is VERY fluffy... any tips on any better ideas to remove excess hair easily? I find his grooming brush pretty rubbish and that's the second small pet brush I have bought!

I'm at my wits end, I don't want this to turn into a serious problem and end up causing him tummy trouble, he is constantly grooming himself so I can't stop him digesting some fur. Is there anything that will help him pass on any fur he may have in his tummy? He is running around as normal, binkys and just as I am typing this he is "oinking" at my feet so he is coming around a little but when he doesn't eat as much as usual that worries me!

Any help really appreciated :(

Don't have much time so quick reply, but I swear by fibreplex :wave: Olly has fur issues, and he just has one dose of fibreplex every day now and he's been absolutely fine for ages :wave: he loves it too which helps!

It could just be normal molt.... Teddy's first molt with me was ASTONISHING.

The only way I've found is to pick them over.... you end up with a pile of fur the size of a football!

Rupert had a huge huge moult when he was about that age.... and I think Tia did too, I think at around his age they kinda get rid of their baby fur maybe?

I know I suggested this before with some agreeing with and some disagreeing with me..

When Smudge and Willow had a VERY heavy moult, i used a lint roller and it was fabulous...all loose fur came away easily with no tugging,,,

Fee x

'Plucking' the lose fur with your fingers works well, just pinch gently and tug, if it's lose it will come out easily. The often moult in lines so you can see where the lose sections are.

Plenty of hay helps the hair move through the gut too, so cutting back a little on dry food to encourage extra hay eating might help.

The other thing that helps is damp hands - but wouldn't recommend it in winter when it's cold :-/

in summer when mine are moulting i have damp hands a the littlest of touches brings loads off them

Don't have much time so quick reply, but I swear by fibreplex :wave: Olly has fur issues, and he just has one dose of fibreplex every day now and he's been absolutely fine for ages :wave: he loves it too which helps!
Thank you so much for this tip! I have ordered some from viovet today & it will be with me before Christmas, very pleased about that, althought I think he is over the worst now, he is starting to eat more etc but still this sounds great & very handy to have this in my cupboard at all times :D

Thanks to everyone else for your helpful comments. I hope this is him changing over to adult from baby fur, I would hate it to be this bad all the time, I stress it is BAD!!! There is fur everywhere around the house and I have took so much off him I could have made myself a fur coat by now :lol: it just keeps coming, how could one teeny wee bunny have so much fur?? :shock:

Back