• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Shivering UD 20th Dec - Pneumonia

JemimaH

Warren Veteran
Does a bun shiver when they're cold, like humans? Dee is shivering, yet her ears don't feel particularly cold. They're not 'warm' as such, but then again I thought they weren't meant to be?! She's got a thick winter coat and everything, plus it's warmer inside than it's been outside even since before she came in. The heater isn't on or anything (I'M freezing! :(:lol:), as I think it aggravates her snuffling.

She's going in tomorrow for a very quick tooth burr and chest x-rays, so hopefully we can get to the bottom of her snuffly breathing, but the shivering is concerning me slightly :?

Sorry for the number of threads recently :oops:

Last edited:
yes - they shiver if cold, but they also shiver when in pain, or afraid.

The shivers differ slightly - but unless you have seen her shiver n various circumstances I suspect its going to be tricky to say which this is.

Yes I have seen my bun shivering when in pain, its been more noticeable wh I have been stroking him when he's in pain, turned out to be his teeth needed burring :cry:

I hope that once Dee has visited the vets and her teeth been burred down she will be feeling much more comfortable and of course, stopped shaking.

Best of luck tomorrow.:thumb:

May be pain then - she did it at the vets as well but that could have just been the stress and Sarah didn't want to take her temp as she gets so stressed. Have popped a snugglesafe in and she's on that, so hopefully that and her freshly burred tooth tomorrow will stop the shivering :) hope she hasn't got pneumonia though, I'm away this weekend and don't like leaving medicating to my parents because I get quite paranoid about things like this :roll:

Thanks for the replies :wave:

usually more from pain i think. place your hands on her and see if she vibrates more. vet told me this is pain when bisc was doing it years ago. x

She had her tooth burred today and some xrays, which showed she had pneumonia in both lungs so the vet asked our permission to deepen the GA and take a sample to send to the lab - hopefully we'll get them back before Christmas as the person who does the tests in the lab is a personal friend of the Sarah's, so she can email her 'out of hours' as such with the results. Thankfully Dee coped really well with the GA and there were no problems at all :) She's eaten as well which is such a relief as if she was needing syringe feeding I'd be dreading it seen as i'm away this weekend :shock:

She's home and is quite sleepy (to be expected) but is relatively bright and has had her meloxydil before the other meds which will be later, just in case it will make her feel a bit more comfortable :) Poor little girl, not what we were wanting at Christmas! Ah well.

Poor Dee.:( At least now she should hopefully start to get better. Sending get well soon vibes her way. xxxxx

Thank you Di xx :wave: she has been through the mill a bit bless her, not what I'd choose to put a nearly-7-year-old diddy bun through! She's not eaten anything since she got back which isn't surprising to be honest, I imagine her tooth is probably a bit uncomfortable :( I've given her a selection of kale, greens and mushed up pellets along with some dry ones so she's got plenty of choice when her appetite resumes :thumb: my poor little munchkin!

She's so-so this morning, very lethargic and not at all bright like she was yesterday morning but I suppose she is still feeling the effects of yesterday. Her eating has slowed down though, even though she ate some kale, grass and a few pellets overnight her poos are minuscule. She just generally looks 'uncomfortable' which isn't surprising really! I'm out today so have entrusted Mum to check on her every hour or so and try to tempt her. Hopefully her meds will kick in soon :)

Come on gorgeous girly.. Get well soon .

hope she picks up with her medication. its such a worry,,

lots of love
Fee x

Just spoke to Mum and apparently she still hasn't eaten anything but is enjoying strokes - yesterday evening she was flinching if you touched her sides so hopefully this is something!

Still not much improvement for daisy bless her :( her eating has improved slightly but that's about it!

null_zps5d345e88.jpg
[/IMG]

You can see she's not quite right, this was her having her meds just now :( poor munchkin!

Back