• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Nelson - super skinny giant with canker [DISTRESSING PICS]

catxx

Mama Doe
Rabbit Residence took in a Giant Papillion cross a week ago, not that you can tell that from him at the moment. He has been named Nelson (after Mandela) and is slowly beginning to gain weight.
1508085_10152078875898114_1767194641_n.jpg

He came in to the rescue after his original "owners" took him to a vet (far later than they should have done!), the vet took one look and demanded he be signed over. Sadly as he was signed over willingly the RSPCA will not pursue a cruelty charge.

He came in weighing just 3.7kg. His goal is about 6kg. As of today he's up to 4.26kg, proof his skinnyness is pure neglect and nothing more! His teeth are surprisingly fine and an ivomec injection has been working wonders on the canker. It appears that he has already been neutered which is something, his back teeth are fine, but he even had canker sores in between his toes and a small external abscess on his lip, possibly from a rat bite. The abscess will be dealt with tomorrow at the vets.

Here's some more photos of the state he was in when he came in:
1471815_10151824769512686_2097571644_n.jpg

1470171_10152078876023114_1974076503_n.jpg

1479202_10152078876033114_283025442_n.jpg

More pictures as he improves!

Oh my goodness :cry: The poor lad. The state of him is absolutely shocking. :cry:

I'm really looking forward to seeing pics of him as he improves and recovers from this dreadful neglect.

Oh poor boy :cry: Glad he's safe now. Hope his abscess can be treated and he makes a full recovery. Sending lots of vibes for Nelson xx

OMG! poor bun, best wishes and love to him
:censored: to the owners- just relieved that they did take him to the vets- eventually.

Oh the poor darling.:(:( Thank goodness that Nelson is now getting the medical care he needs so much and no doubt plenty of love and attention.

I hope Nelson makes a full recovery and can get the opportunity to appreciate how a bunny should be properly cared for.:love::love:

Omg :cry: I cannot believe anyone could let him get into that state it's just :censored::evil: it's literally made me cry seeing him like that. I hope he recovers soon with some love and attention, he looks such a lovely boy. Sending him gentle nose rubs xx

He must be in ago much pain, Floppy had mites and his ears were a tenth as bad as that and he was miserable. :cry::cry::cry:

Good Lord...that is horrific :shock: :cry:
Poor Nelson. Sending vibes for him and thank God you have him now so he can heal and know love. xxxx

Ohhh Poor Bun! I hope he'll get better!

I really don't understand why its okay to just sign them over and that's it! :(
I see this on animal cops all the time (love watching the show).
I hope these people get punished in life

I saw the photos on facebook, I didn't realize he was suppose to be a giant. How is he getting on now?

I saw the photos on facebook, I didn't realize he was suppose to be a giant. How is he getting on now?

So far as I know he's slowly putting on weight, which is a very good thing! Think he was meant to be getting that abscess seen to today.

How someone can let him get in that state is truly horrific. I'm in tears. I'm so angry they can't be prosecuted.

So glad he is getting the care he needs now and look forward to updates :)

Lots of fuss him!

xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't dare to look at the pictures (thank for putting the warning on !) - just want to add my vibes to Nelson to get big and strong and healthy.

Back