• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to protect the carpet

Alison Marie

Wise Old Thumper
It's looking like Nibbles and Buttons may be in here for the winter but unfortuantely the whole house is carpeted. Putting them in the kitchen isn't an option as it's really small!

I'm looking at some way of protecting the carpet in our smallest, single bedroom which I will likely give them free run of, in case they have any accidents etc. I obviously want to keep it as clean as possible. At the moment I have some plastic runners with a rug on top but the room is obviously much bigger than the space they're in at the moment.

I also need to protect the skirting boards and wallpaper if possible, Buttons is a chewer and tended to like chewing wallpaper at the old house :oops: I could look at the dog crate and puppy pen so they're not anywhere near the sides but I think theym ight be able to move it, its quite flimsy. Then Jasper won't have a pen anymore!

I uses fleeces and towels over the areas of carpet Spenser favours - if you put a thick layer of newspaper underneath any accidents should not go through to the carpet.

Spenser has chewed my door, but doesn't have much access to the skirting boards as I have furniture or his crate round most of the walls.

It might be worth having a look at some of the threads and stickies in the 'housing' section of the Forum to see if there are ideas there. :wave:

I bought a very large lino off cut they chew that up around the edges and leave carpets etc alone. It is big enough that it come up over the skirting boards, they can make as much mess as they want as it mops/sweeps up.

I put puppy panels round the room (breeze blocks to hold it in place or dig boxes if its against the wall). I put correx covered with cardboard with newspaper and rugs over the top. They loved to chew/dig at the cardboard so I would replace it eventually.

Back