• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Fox paid a visit last night

marchi1990

Mama Doe
My sister's room overlooks the area of the garden where the rabbits live. Last night they woke her with their thumping - she looked out and a huge fox was circling their runs.

She and my dad went out to check they were okay and to comfort them. They purposely didn't wake me because I had to be up early for an interview and knew I would have been up all night.

She has just let me know. She was the one that fed them this morning because I left @ 7.30.

I am freaking out - they all look terrified. Pepper is running up and down her tunnel like a mad rabbit whenever she sees movement. Woody is quiet in his shed - Bella is also scatty and my sis said Bunny was cowering in a corner when she went out last night.

Should I do anything? They have all eaten thankfully this morning.

I am afraid I would have to either bring them indoors unless I could house them in a shed/out-building. Foxes NEVER give up :cry:

Ah bless them, it's so scary for them.

I know I have foxes in my garden all the time as they leave lovely deposits behind and also one chased Doughnut once and she was absolutely terrified.

A shed would certainly make them feel more protected. They will get over it after a while but like Jane says foxes don't give up so it may well happen again tonight.

Poor bunnies I hope there ok now:)

I know how terrifying it is. We have lots of foxes as our house backs on to fields. I know it's not ideal but I don't allow the buns to have access to the run at night anymore I lock them in the shed for there own safety.

Like others have said a fox won't give up and will more than likely keep coming back if they know the bunnies are still there.

Oh gosh, how scary. This is one of my biggest fears :(

How foxproof is the set-up? I've worked v hard making my set-up as foxproof as possible, I have 16g 1/2" mesh all over it which is sandwiched in-between two batons and stapled, and a foxwatch at the front. I also have twist locks and huge lockable barrel bolts. I once found some poo on the floor but that could well have been cat poo, so I have no idea if a fox has ever tried to visit.

Do you have a fox watch? I think another thing people try is to spread lion poo around the garden (I think there is a compnay that sells it as fox protection) or get a male to wee around the permiter.

I guess the most important thing is making sure the runs are totally foxproof and giving the buns a bolt hole if they feel scared

Rabbit owners worst fear :cry:

Hope they are all ok, sorry I can't offer advice but if that fox so much as looks at my woody........it's curtains for the fox ;)

Have a look at the fox watch - we got one for our new house as had a fox visitor. He's not been back since we bought it.

I agree with Catherine - the most important things are to make sure the set up is fox-proof and also to give the bunnies somewhere safe to retreat when they feel threatened - tunnels or a cardboard box for example - because their idea of safety is very different to ours. If you're worried about the set up or want to double check, you could post some photos up and people can advise.

People's experiences with foxes seem to vary by location too - foxes in some areas seem much bolder. I've had Alfie in the garden for 5 years and, although we've had the odd visit from foxes, they've never caused too much of a problem with the bunnies (*touches wood*) even though I know they pass through the garden on a regular basis. Occasionally one might show an interest in the kennel & run but, in all honesty, the foxes usually seem more scared of the bunnies when they scamper off to safety than the bunnies are of them.

The foxwatch is definitely worth looking into & I believe a few people have used them with good results; you might find a few threads on them if you search the forum. :D

Fox seen

Hi All:wave:
Am getting worried now as have had a couple of visits from a large
fox - the last was at 1 30 this afternoon! The buns did nt seem too bothered
but my heart was racing! I have to say tho I felt sorry for him he just
stood there looking at me as if looking for help/food - I love foxes but am
scared for my bunnys - they are very secure but does anyone know of a good
fox repellent? Also watch is fox watch?
Thanks! Kim

I've bought Scoot which I am going to place down as soon as it stops raining :evil: Unfortunately it can't go down in the wet.

I have also bought a fox watch and a night guard solar which will be installed tomorrow night.

The problem is - they cannot possibly come indoors because there are 5 of them and I just don't have the space - it is also far too warm in here. Two are in sheds so hopefully they feel secure in there. I have also put black sheets over Pepper's hutch so it is a completely blacked out area - I hope she will find some comfort in that. The others have very good areas where they can run to when afraid :cry:

It is my absolutely worse nightmare. I knew there were foxes around but I was not aware that they were aware of my bunnies - unfortunately the foxes are a result of me living on the back of a wildlife reserve.

I feel so stressed. I'm leaving lots of house lights on tonight as well as lights in the garden. I don't know what else to do.

Last edited:
Thanks! Kim

Fox watch is a small device - see here

http://www.foxolutions.co.uk/fox-deterrents/foxwatch

Hope the buns stay safe. It sounds as if you are trying really hard to ensure that they are protected.

Sorry to hear that you've had another fox visit, they are stressful little blighters aren't they! I really hope the repellents you've bought help once installed - that is one of the downsides of scoot. Which reminds me, I must redo mine once this rain passes.

I think the most important thing is to make sure the run is secure. Also take some comfort (however small) in the fact that the bunnies woke someone up. Marbles is a very reliable fox detector, she always wakes me up when foxes visit which I find quite comforting. You're doing everything you can, I know it's hard but try not to panic.

Thanks! Kim

Hi if you search the forums for fox repellent or fox deterrent you should find lots of threads with some good recommendations

Sounds like good moves to me. Just to check, the other thing is the floor as foxes are as good at digging as rabbits - do you have concret/paving or mesh? Also make sure the run can't be lifted or pushed away from the hutch (not sure how they are conntected).

Sounds like good moves to me. Just to check, the other thing is the floor as foxes are as good at digging as rabbits - do you have concret/paving or mesh? Also make sure the run can't be lifted or pushed away from the hutch (not sure how they are conntected).

Hi Tamsin - they are all on concrete because of this worry - I also have pretty sturdy locks which connect runs to sheds. Other runs are beneath hutches and are connected via a ramp. One other is connected via a runaround tunnel so is seperate to the hutch. Could a fox lift or move a 8 foot run?

All bunnies are locked in tonight - they aren't happy but I am.

Last edited:
Depends on the weight of the run, I would think not with the weight of a hutch on top or fixed to the shed. If you aren't sure, you can get L shaped brackets so you put a screw through into the hutch and the ground so they can't move.

Depends on the weight of the run, I would think not with the weight of a hutch on top or fixed to the shed. If you aren't sure, you can get L shaped brackets so you put a screw through into the hutch and the ground so they can't move.

Even to go into concrete?

Yep, you'll need a drill bit suitable for concrete and I think you can get screws designed specifically for it too. I would hope if you walk into a DIY shop/screw fix or similar they'll be able to point you at the right ones. It's not massively different to fixing a trellis or similar onto a concrete block wall, just a different angle :)

Back