• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

4am Stomping. ...help!

bunny-boo

Warren Scout
Well my lovely house bunny Milo has persistently for the last 4-5 weeks stomped his feet around 4am every night!! He lives indoors has his own bedroom at night ...when he stomps it frightens my dogs who then start to bark or just won't settle then. Any ideas? He is a large French lop and has a whopper stomp!

Could he hear/smell a Fox in the garden ?

Does your central heating/hot water come on at the time he thumps ?

Are the dogs in the same room as him ?

Ludo has done this once, and when I listened carefully he was doing it in response to a seagull squawking outside his window.

Could it be bird noise?

Meg does this when the street lights come on first thing in the morning and go off at midnight outside her window, think she is adverse to sudden light changes since the bulb in their room takes a minute or two to warm up she's not used to it. I've learned to ignore the little madam but she's a mini lop so she's not exactly loud!

Other than staying up till 4am to see what the cause is I'm not sure what to suggest really. Hope you find what's bugging her, and it's something you can do something about!

No he is in the room on his own...maybe he can hear something outside. .. can't ignore him as the dog's get freaked. Mmm central heating not on ....

I sometimes get this with Doughnut but not that often although sometimes during the day she will run off into her hutch and seem really alert and a bit frightened then about 5 minutes later a helicopter flies over. Their hearing is so acute and their smell so you may not be able to work it out anyway.

When she stamps in the night I always assume she can hear or smell a fox although since yours is at the same time every morning maybe it is something else.

Perhaps the birds are starting to twitter, or sometimes they run along the guttering outside and its really quite annoying, maybe its something along those lines which would explain it being the same time each morning :)

I used to have a French kop and can well remember her thumps at night, so loud, hope you find out whats causing them to thump, does bunny look stressed or run away when you go in room, do they run off? or could it be attention seeking?

If it's at a specific time I would guess he's warning you about something he's detecting. I'd suggest setting an alarm a bit earlier and then sitting with him and see if that gives you any clues what he's focusing on eg ear direction or you might hear/see something yourself. Or I guess you could try a camera to record.

This can be numerous things but generally it is some noise from outside or a shadow from a tree branch in the light have u tried to place a towel over the cage so that the window area is not visable obviously make sure that at least one side of cage is open to air

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

He doesn't have a cage as is free range ...I close his curtains at night and I am going to try and leave a radio on to see if that helps. ..wondering if it could be a fox in the garden? I suggested on our next day off I will spend the night with him and see what happens. . He is just in the one spot standing there when I open the door doesn't run but looks more frozen to the spot. Thanks for your advice x

Back