• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Does anyone have an idea why..

Jojo123

Mama Doe
My buns only like to sit and lie down on the carpet? Ive given them comfy pet houses, cushions,pet beds, fleece bankets they have their hay trays but they will not lie down on anything but the carpet? They have a favourite spot to lie down on and I put a fleece over that spot and they just move it. Its not a huge problem although it gets a bit cold in the dinning room and it must be warmer off the floor on something snuggly, I just cant think why they would prefer the carpet to anything else!

As the saying goes - you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink - and you can give the buns all the wonderful things to lie on - and they will completely ignore them all and choose where they want:roll:. We have 6 buns - and they all like different surfaces - Bobo prefers hard cold surfaces, his wife prefers the hay in the little box, Holly likes soft fleecy surfaces and so on. Who knows what goes on their little minds. :love: It is lovely though that yours have been given options and have the freedom to choose what they want - lucky little beasties :thumb:

My two are like this too, they have a massive cushion (which I sit on when I'm in there with them so they might think this is my territory which is fine), a little soft bed, and a fleece blanket and they refuse to lay on any of it, they'll only lay on the bare, plastic top shelf of their cage (usually with their feet in the water bowl, grumble) or the floor.

I have a theory that they can feel the hot water pipes that run through the floor, but bunnies natrually are used to hard surfaces so maybe some of them just can't get the hang of soft furnishings? Who knows. But you aren't alone :wave:

Nice to know im not alone! This is them and there favourite spot, they tend to squish each other to get to it :D

My two have had loads of beds and blankets over the years - but Tia ALWAYS chooses to sleep on the bare wood surface, but Rupert looooves his mat, its really tatty now, i tried to swap it and he went mental and started chewing the new mat thing, so I had to give him his manky bunny mat back!

Doughnut loves sitting on a bit of newspaper. She has the vet bed, fleece, rug which she has no interest in but if I put a bit of newspaper down or a bit of cardboard, she will lie on it. She's a cheap little bunny in that respect anyway!

Awww its like Rupers has a comfort blanket! Mine like newspaper and cardboard too but they like to eat it rather than sit on it so they dont have any very often :D

With both of my rabbits one sits on the door mat and the other on the big mat sometimes on the wooden floor if they are hot its just like when humans find a comfy spot we like to always sit in it

Sent from my LT30p using Tapatalk

What you think of as cool is probably nice comfortable to them with a fluffy coat on :)

Wild rabbits often dig 'scapes' to lie in. Basically they scrape away the grass to make a nice bare patch of ground. Pop a fleece, hay or litter on the floor and a lot of rabbits will do exactly the same, shove it out the way and lie in the hollow. Scamp has a cardboard box with to sleep in, he's trimmed a neat oval in the floor with hay around which is where he sits, and the hole means he rests directly on the kitchen tile. He seems quite happy with the arrangement :lol:

Back