• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

OMG my housemate's brought a hamster home!

deli

Young Bun
Just got back home and saw a hamster cage. Thought there's nothing in it at first, but then saw this fugly looking black/grey hamster with tiny eyes move about. I moved a finger near its cage and it attacked the bars. The hamster looked really feisty, and had... it looked like a chunk of skin ripped open. Looked like a tail but it's in the side by the hip. I kept trying to view it in different angles and it looked more and more like flesh ripped open. O_O

After this encounter I went to my room and my rabbit came out to greet me. Placed a paw on my foot asking for food lol, and let me stroke her body. My rabbit scratches herself once in a while, but her skin and fur looks perfectly healthy. Never have I ever seen a hamster with flesh ripped open. Gonna ask my housemate about it in the morning.

Update for this territorial angry looking hamster! My housemate's looking after it for a family member who's gone off for Christmas, and it's got some sort of skin condition. Skin condition my ass. I can't think of any skin condition that causes a chunk of flesh to rip open. Looks more like someone stabbed the hamster with a pen or sharp object, then prodded the wound open. Apparently the vet already prescribed some sort of oral medication... but don't they need to y'know, stitch the wound close? :shock:

Hmm does sound a bit suss. If I were you Id take the poor thing to the vet yourself to be sure its getting the attention it needs x

Poor little hamster :(
Sounds like no-one is looking after it properly.

And please don't call it names. It cant help how it looks or acts. It certainly doesn't deserve to be called names.
And it attacked the cage bars? Let me guess....the cage is tiny and the wheel is too small.
Hamsters will usually only do things like that if they are bored, scared or in pain :cry:

How can you call the hamster fugly :( poor little thing, sounds as though it has had **** owners. Bless his heart.

Ooh without a pic its difficult to tell what it is.
but yours right it doesn't sound like anything ive heard of.
do they know the name of the supposed skin thing?
if it was me i think id be sneaking off to a good exotic vet, for a second opinion.
hope wee hammy is all right.

Skin mites?

Normally a spot on ivermectin treatment (and follow up treatments) is given for that.

You'd have to be really careful taking it to a different vet, as you'd need to know what treatment had already been given.

Last edited:
Oh dear, poor thing. Is your friend giving the hamster the medicine? Surely even if it didn't need stitching up, it needs ongoing treatment as clearly is not better.

It sounds like it will be in a lot of pain from what you've said, and animals in pain can act aggressive.

Back