• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Anyone's rabbit not like it when you cook?

lilsouris

Warren Scout
Sounds odd I know.

My buns live in the kitchen they have a puppy pen that they are kept in during the day and they free roam at night. Anyway just recently I've noticed everytime I use the stove to fry something etc Willow acts like she is really frightened and runs and hides and stomps. Usually I can tempt her out after about five mins but I'm not sure what's causing her to freak out. Whether its the sound or the smell but she hates it. On the other hand Buffy is completely unaffected. Just wondered if anyones had a similar experience. I started to put her in the living room now when I cook so she's not stressed out but thats not always easy to do when you are trying to supervise her in another room and cook.

Anyone elses bun not like cooking? Wondering if she's just trying to tell me I suck at cooking :p

Both Moley (when he was a house bun) and Py my house bun hate it when I cook. Py runs to hide and has a little stomp as well. He calms down after a few mins.

I often wondered whether it's the smell or noise or both??

It's definitely the smell. My bridge bun Honey freaked every time we used the oven or fried anything, and she lived in the room above the kitchen!!! Molly lives there now and she hates it too. I open the windows and light scented candles in the kitchen, but if your bun lives in the kitchen I wouldn't do the candle thing.

My two are the exact same. To the point where I was questioning the hubby about what he had been up to!! (jk).

Really have no idea why they hate it. Open the fridge on the other hand and they are the happiest things alive!

chicken. haven't cooked anything for about two years but they used to hate the smell of chicken cooking.

Oh how strange, my buns love it when I'm cooking. I actually have to shut them away from the kitchen when cooking because they just won't leave me alone and I've almost stepped on or tripped over them so many times as they just keep circling your feet in the hope you drop something. They are very greedy and as soon as ANY food comes out they are there to join you. Therefore I have to shut them away from the room when we are eating as well. As it happens in one occasion a plate was left unattended on the kitchen table just for a moment and when I came back George was there on the table helping himself to some chicken!!! :shock:

Maybe mine are just weird...

Even though our lounge, dining room and kitchen is open plan my 2 have NEVER step foot in the kitchen it's so weird!! It's not a different flooring and there is no boundary to the kitchen so I don't know why they do this :lol:
Alice will beg when I go in the fridge she knows what's in there, and Bear is quite sensitive he hates the sound of crockery, we have to be extra careful when emptying the dishwasher.

Bobo hates the sound of food frying - we have to close all doors between kitchen and lounge - the other 5 don't care at all - it's just him and his quirky ways.

Boris always reacted very strongly to the smell of meat cooking :( He'd always thump and run away. Bella did the same thing once when she was out in the garden and the neighbours decided to have a BBQ :)evil:)

Mine love it because they get stray bits of vegetables :lol::lol:

Unless I get the tin foil out... the noise sends them running and stomping :roll:

I can't say it really bothers Lola, unless we have the oven and hobs on, then it gets pretty warm in the kitchen even with the windows open, and she sulks a little and stretches out on the cold tiles to get cool.. Once she's cool she tries humping legs.. :roll:

Yeah when I've brought Levi and Daisy in to run around the kitchen and my mum starts cooking something they always seem to retreat back to their carrier to hide. I imagine it must be the smell rather than the noise.

How weird, I was having a convo with my oh about this the other day. Jessica doesn't like me cooking either. She lives near the kitchen/bathroom but just hides behind the bathroom door when I cook. Even if the oven goes on she isn't keen. Never had an issue with my 1st 2 buns who were house buns.

Scamp doesn't seem to mind, he particularly likes the part of cooking that involves chopping but he's not bothered about the rest.

It could be either sound or smell - I would if it's frying in particular is might be the sound.

You could try playing a radio whilst cooking - see if that helps. Also try associating it with something good eg food them some of the dinner at the same time you cook.

My bridge bun Benny used to do this, but only when we were cooking meat, whether it was frying, roasting or whatever. We could fry/boil/roast vegetables and he wouldn't care, but as soon as it was meat he would thump and hide. That was my first little prod towards giving up meat! :lol:

AMETHYST

Thanks guys glad to know it's not just me. Still not sure whether it's the smell or sound but I'll try and shut her in living room in future when I cook xxx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rosie hates when we cook. She hides under her Ikea bed while Bobby is usually pancaked out on top of it dreaming. She comes out once we are sitting at the table eating.

I had another rabbit who was a Dutch like Rosie and she reacted the very same. In my experience the girls are more sensitive to cooking smells while the males are more chilled.

Sent from my GT-I9001 using Tapatalk 2

Back